Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You need enough ammonia to spike both the nitrites and nitrates. I just want to make sure he doesn't put in ammonia, see the nitrite spike, and everything drop to 0 because it ran out of a source without ever spiking the nitrates.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

no it wasn't :T the lfs guy said it was okay as long as it was moist, so they were transported in a wet newspaper inside a box :'(

Old 05-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

does this mean that my live rock is now void of any beneficial bacteria?
Old 05-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No. It means that it is producing ammonia as we speak. Not alot but some. Thats what you want. The die off from the rock can start your cycle.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You best bet is to test for ammonia, and if it is 0 that may be because your rock's bacteria is eating it. If you don't think your tank has cycled, or if you're just unsure, put in a raw shrimp from the seafood section of your local grocery store, cost you maybe 50cents. Do some more tests after a few days ( ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) if the 1st to stay at 0 and you have some nitrate then you've cycled. If you see any ammonia spike, then let the cycle happen.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just added the ammonia however the guide I was following that said to add 3 spoons of it might not have applied to me I think :/ , I am testing the ammonia and it is going over 8 ppm (highest measurable)

I already tried to do a partial water change and it did not seem to bring my levels down :T , what can I do to bring the ammonia levels down? (is it required to do so?)

Also, if I get some seeding material from a lfs today, will this help? Thank you for the help :T
Old 05-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You'll have to wait and see what others say. I only have experience with seeding the cycle with the shrimp and know it worked well. If you are trying to cycle the last thing you'd want to do is a water change. The main reason people will do a water change is if they are trying to cycle a tank with fish in it ( a big no no! poor fish shouldn't have to go through that) It wil increase the amount of time it takes to cycle, but give the fish a better chance of surviving.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would do a water change AGAIN to get the ammonia down to 4-5ppm. Its easier to deal with at that level. I overdosed my first tank too lol it took like 4 pwc's to get the ammonia down. But I ended up cycling in about a week. I had 35lbs of lr in a 29g tank.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you carey ^__^ i just got back from the fish store because I needed more salt mix, I also got some filter media as well.

I will go ahead and continue to do partial water changes until I get down to 4-5 ppm, I was just discouraged and worried because it was so high even after a large water change.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I totally freaked out when I overdosed the ammonia. I completely understand.

Just do what your doing, you can't really mess anything up in a day or so, so don't worry so much. easier said than done though lol

Tags
setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com