Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

help with nitrate

hi guys , need a quick fix , but not temporary , to a nitrate problem .........added some rock a few weeks back and all off a sudden it went sky high upto 180ppm .......removed the rock and after a shed load of water changes i got it down to 30ppm ...............lost a fish yesterday so decided to test again .....PH , Amonnia , Nitrite all bang on but Nitrate has risen to about 80ppm ............. not running a skimmer at the min cos i,m moving all to a new 325ltr tank on friday but just abit worried as i dont want to loose anymore fish or even move them if there out of sorts with high nitrate. ...........any help/advise be very much appreciated..........thanx in advance

ps ......being doing this for about 5 months and have to say this is by far the best forum site for help and advise .........Admin keep up the good work

pps ....... i will be running a skimmer in my new tank

Old 03-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Where did you but the rock and why remove it? Adding more live rock to an established tank will cause a spike due to die off.

I'd just keep up on water changes everyday if you have to.

What is your current stock?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #3

hi , the rock came from a shop that was closing down .......i removed it because up untill adding it all was great ...........stock is 2 cleaner shrimp , 1 x goby , 4 damsels , mix of snails and hermits and 2 clownfish........like i said im wanting to move it all on friday and hope the increase in water volume may also help to stabalize?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy71uk View Post
hi , the rock came from a shop that was closing down .......i removed it because up untill adding it all was great ...........stock is 2 cleaner shrimp , 1 x goby , 4 damsels , mix of snails and hermits and 2 clownfish........like i said im wanting to move it all on friday and hope the increase in water volume may also help to stabalize?
More water volume more room for error

Just stay on top of the water changes until you can move everything. What's your filtration like?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #5

Get an aquatic plant in there, they use nitrates.
or even a normal plant like lucky bamboo with the top poking out the top.
the roots will take in nutrients and nitrates no problem.

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com