Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

help with nitrite

iam cycling my new tank. the amonia has spkied and now gone to zero yet the nitrite is still high and has been for a while and its not comming down. any ideas why this is or how to bring it down

Old 08-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I always add good bacteria to my tanks to get them to cycle.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do 50% water changes, its just part of the cycle, keep doing just what your doing, no need to add any stuff, just change the water 50% 1 or 2 times a day
Old 08-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would advise not doing PWC if you're only seeing nitrites. Wait till there's enough bacteria to turn those nitrites into nitrates. If you remove the nitrites, there won't be enough for the bacteria to feed on and multiply, slowing down the cycle. Just let it be until you see a drop in nitrites and a rise in nitrates. Then do a 50% water change to drop the nitrates.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wouldn't do water changes either. If you want it to work faster I would definitely add bacteria like Stability. This is a cheap and easy way to get the tank to cycle.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMO, if you're already reading heavy on the nitrates, the cycle is almost over. I wouldn't waste money on chemicles claiming to have bacteria. Half of the time those bottles sit on the shelves for months. Even bacteria has a shelf life. Patience is the most important tool in this hobby, and learning to more patient with cycling will help you have a successful and rewarding expireince. Crashes almost always happen because we rush things.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Edit to earlier post
* reading heave on the NITRITES
Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Actually you are buying water with bacteria that are in a dormant stage as soon as there are nutrients present they start to grow. Just like everything else you buy there is an expiration date. IMO I would rather seed my aquarium with bacteria designed for aquariums.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess I just don't understand why you would buy something that occurs naturally in marine water. All you need to do is add an ammonia source and that same bacteria that is in that bottle will form...FOR FREE! or cheap I guess if you had to buy the ammonia source..it's not like it's chemically engineered in a lab to be a Superman version of nitrobacteria. But to each his own.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, that bottle states that is has both nitrosomonas and nitrobacters, both which are aerobic, requiring oxygen to sustain their life cycles. There's only so much oxygen they can put in those bottles. If they run out of oxygen they don't just go dormant, the bacteria dies. Atleast that's what I understand.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com