help with refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi iam new to all this marine life stuff. can someone please tell me what a refugium and a sump are.. also all the abrivation for coral ie lfs sps and things like that.

A sump is just another small tank underneath the main display tank where you can put equipment and things like that.

A refugium is just a section of your sump or another small tank plumbed in that usually holds some or all of: sand, rock rubble, and macro algae. It helps pull nutrients out of the water and also provides a good place to breed pods (little bugs that the fish eat).

LFS - local fish store
LPS - (coral) large polyp stony
SPS - (coral) small polyp stony

If you search the articles or FAQ on the bar at the top of the site i think there is an acronym list in there somewhere. Also the articles section has some great reading for beginners that will help to answer a lot of basic questions and give you some good background.

thanks mate that helped alot also can you help iv just brought some actinia equina nems. can you tell me anything about them are they good in my tank what they will eat

also known as waratah nems,they are very hardy nems so you shouldn't have too many issues with them,if you are feeding frozen cubes to your fish then that is all they need but you can feed them a small silverside once a month

It will benefit you (money and frustration) in the future if you do all the research prior to purchase.

Back
Top Bottom