help with ro/di and sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrasse326

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I've got a 120 gallon FOWLR and a 55 gallon seaclear I plan on making a reef tank. I've been using a fluval canister filter and protein skimmer on both tanks. Well I don't have a protein skimmer on the 55 yet. I've been just using tap water and water conditioner but I've been looking into making or buying a sump for each tank and getting an ro/Di unit. I don't really understand them though. Does the ro/di have to be hooked up to running water constantly? Or can you just hook it up when your ready to make some water? Like say it says 100 gpd. Do you have to make that much water everyday? And how does a sump work? What all do you need to set it up? I've been trying to watch videos but they just seem to be explaining how to build them not really telling me what each section is for and everything. I would like to build one and not have to drill the tanks. So I know I'd have to get an overflow box. And what size sump is recommended for my tanks? Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Check out Melevs reef.com for sumps. Rodi make water when you need it can be hook up to hose bib outside or inside house you will need a container for the good water and a drain or outside for waste water really simple. Mines on my patio with a 15gal container and waste water drains into the pool. Sump size largest you can fit under stand. 20 long is a good start .

Check aquasafe Canada, good prices many different units to get size you want. Can also download instructions to see how easy their are to setup, mine took me like 30-45 min. Very easy to understand instructions, they also sell a connector to attach to kitchen faucet or garden hose if you don't want to tap water line.

The 100 gallons per day is how much water the RO/DI unit can filter in 24hrs. You can make as little as an 8 oz. glass if you wanted i make about 35 gallons a week from my 75 gl. per day RO/DI. filter because thats what i use

Sumps, a sump is just a box with one two or three chambers 1st chamber is the intake where the dirty water from the main tank drains. This is where i like to put my skimmer some people will put a filter sock on the drain pipe i dont

2nd chamber often called the refugium or fuge This is where you will grow macro algae, pods and other good things for your tank I put my heaters in here (as well as any probes) because the flow is a bit slower through here.

3rd chamber is the return section this is where your return pump sits it's the pump that brings the filtered water back into the main tank. This is where i like to put my ATO= auto top off. This section will show any water loss as the rest of the sump will keep the same level You want to top off with RO/DI water

Ok I got my new rodi set up and my new sump set up this weekend. I wanna order some macro algea for the refugium part.. what r the best ones and do those need to be in an empty tank for 9 weeks to make sure there's no ich cysts or whatever? I'm already a week into having my 120 fishless so I can get rid of ich. If I put those in there do I need to start the 9 weeks over?

I would contact your local reef clubs first. Macro is so abundant anymore theres really no point in paying for it. Im sure someone will give you a handful to get started. Also look for either Chaeto or caulerpa.

You can add the macro algae with no problem Ich will only host fish. No need to reset the 9 week timer

I know only fish are hosts for ich but I read that the cysts could be attached to rocks, corals, etc. So that's why I was thinking I would need to

Back
Top Bottom