Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, please get test kits for pH, ammonia and nitrite at the very least. Temperature (76 -80) and pH (8.0 -8.3) need to be stable and the tank must be cycled before you add a fish. You need to see a rise in the ammonia, then a fall with a concurrent rise in nitrites. Nitrites should then fall and nitrates should rise. When both ammonia and nitrite are reading 0 you can do a 50% water change, wait a week to check stability and then add a fish. A clown fish I fear is too big for that small of a tank.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i don't have a test kit. But the aquarium told me to come back 1 week and bring some water sample and so they can test to see if i am able to add some fishes/LR. It's has been a week so far i will be adding some LR and see how it all turns out.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would highly recommend getting your own test kits. That way you can learn how your tank works and won't have to trust your LFS.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
I would highly recommend getting your own test kits. That way you can learn how your tank works and won't have to trust your LFS.
Couldn't have said it better.

While your LFS might be a good one, they're not the one ultimately responsible for your tank. Their ultimate responsibility it to make sales and stay in business. Not saying they're giving you bum advice, but your goals are different ones!

Unless you are getting fully cured rock for the tank, no tank cycles in one week. And even if it is fully cured rock, it is still good to "kick start" a cycle and wait for the nitrates to show up. That way, there is no doubt that the aquarium is ready for fish/coral/etc.

Even if you do follow your LFS advice for startup, I'd still get the test kits - you'll need them down the road eventually.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Especially with a 5-6 gallon tank. You should be testing your water every day afer it cycles till you know how stable it is and get in hte habit of keeping it that way.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks! i will purchase the test kit today.

Can you list me what i need, the brand etc and the cost!

Thank to everyone, i am learning alot lol.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

The following are typical recommended brands in no particular order:

API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
Salifert
Elos
Hagen
LaMotte
Hach

NH3: Should be 0ppm. Typically used while cycling; however, monthly testing is a good habit.
NO3: Should be below 15ppm. Generally not a concern unless you are housing invertebrates; Fish are much more tolerant of higher levels. Monthly testing would be fine.
pH: 7.8-8.4 with 8.2 being optimal. Weekly-biweekly testing. Also search online for Pinpoint pH monitor.
Ca: Should be above 400ppm. Important to those invertebrates with calcifying skeletons. Test daily-biweekly depending on if you are dosing or not.
Alk: 2.5meq/l-4.5meq/l; Shoot for above 3.0meq/l. Important in buffering capacities and calcification. Test daily-biweekly depending on if you are dosing or not.
PO4: 0-0.03ppm. Inhibits calcification and promotes algae growth. Test monthly if warranted.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
This is a decent, cheap "starter" kit.
Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit
Check the price there and then see what your LFS charges!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #19
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with James as those are some pretty good test kits he gave you. Even gave you what to look for.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Someone suggested this already but i thought i would put in another vote for this fish. Clown gobys are very interesting little fish. I have one in my nano and love the little guy. They like to perch on corals and a few of their favorite rocks and people watch. I think they are kinda cool looking as well.

there are 5 different clown gobys on this page so you have a few to chose from as well.

Gobies for Sale: Goby Fish Species Including Shrimp Gobies

Also depending on if you wanna keep corals or not the catalina goby is a neat little fish too but prefers a bit lower temperature. I've seen them in tanks with higher temps but supposedly they aren't as hardy then.

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com