help with saltwater tank levels!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaykay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok im a total beginner, set my tank up a week ago...my levels at the moment are... nitrite p.p.m 0.05, PH 8.0, alkalinity high 2.9-3.6

i dont know if these are good or bad and what to do if they are bad???

thanks

I am assuming that your tank at the start of the cycling process and that you have no live fish in the tank?

Normally you would look at the tanks ammonia and nitrites; you may find that in 2-3 weeks time that the ammonia and the nitrite levels go up and then start to come down. While this is happening you will notice that the nitrate level increases. Sorry if you know this.

Give us an update with the levels and we can help some more

Yeah, agree with spikey. Could you also give us some more basic info about the tank? It does need to go through a cycle so keep that in mind and check the params everyday!

Keep us posted!

ok the tank is 190 litres, i have put all the salt in and for 4 days the salt levels have been stable at 1.021. the temprature is about 27degrees. iv put in a live rock 2 days ago, which unfortunately had a crab in it, but the crab is still alive so that must be a good sign for my tank!

the only test kit i didnt get with the tank was ammonia so im gona have to go back to the shop and buy that one. the tank has been filled with water for 5 days...

you should really get that ammonia test ASAP. I would maybe try to raise the SG (specific gravity) to ~1.023 also. the temp is OK, just make sure that it doesnt get too much higher than that. How much LR did you pput in BTW?

not much live rock, its about 30cm long and 15cm high, added some plants too..again not much just enough to plant into the LR.

also when shud i put the skimmer on?

are my levels ok that i mentioned in my first post? the PH, nitrite and alkalinity?

read up on cycling an aquarium. All the answers are there. Once you understand the concept you'll find the questions you have will be much different. Your tank is currently starting to cycle.

RE: Skimmer.. debated topic.. some do during the cycle, some don't. I don't bu then I cure outside the tank. If I cured inside the tank.. I may.

Don't think it matters one way or another as far as your cycle goes. Afterward it will be working overtime for awhile if you wait.

First off, what do you mean by plants? You are going to need more LR. You need about 1-1.5lbs of LR per gallon. You have roughly a 50gallon tank so I would really consider getting much more LR. Was the LR cured or not when you bought it?

The skimmer you will need but could you list what equipment you have for the tank at the moment so we can get an idea of what equipment you have and dont have?

As for your params, I just want to really stress the fact that you need an ammonia test ASAP, also, we need to see if your tank is cycling which would indicate and explain the slightly elevated nitrites but, again, we would need to see what the ammonia is as well (do you have testing for nitrAte? if not, get that too). pH is ok and alkalinity should be >3.0

read up on cycling an aquarium. All the answers are there. Once you understand the concept you'll find the questions you have will be much different. Your tank is currently starting to cycle.

RE: Skimmer.. debated topic.. some do during the cycle, some don't. I don't bu then I cure outside the tank. If I cured inside the tank.. I may.

Don't think it matters one way or another as far as your cycle goes. Afterward it will be working overtime for awhile if you wait.

I also agree with captain, I really dont think that a skimmer should be on the top of your list, down the line, maybe yes, right away, not so needed

I wish there was a sticky about this, it just seems to come up over and over.

A) You DO NOT need a skimmer for a saltwater tank. As the tank size gets larger they are recommended but many many run tanks without a skimmer

B) You DO NOT need a sump for a saltwater tank.

C) You DO NOT need 1.5-2 pounds of live rock for a saltwater tank. You need somewhere for biological activity. Live Rock provides that surface, so do HOB filters, canisters, etc. You can have a hunk of "LR" in your tank just for looks and add additional filtration some where else. If the number of fish is relatively small you can use LR as your filtration at much smaller amounts.

D) Don't put any fish in the tank until you finish the cycle. You need an ammonia test though I'm not sure you have to sprint out of the house to get one. Sooner the better though.

IMO more people new to this hobby fail because they are convinced that they need to spend tons of money on setting a tank up and then when the maintenance and stocking comes around that expense crushes them. There are very few black/whites in this hobby. Especially when it comes to equipment.

Take your time, plan ahead and if expense is a limiting factor look for alternatives.

Captain, I think you hit the nail on the head; you don't need, but there are people that use them (A,B &C). It is a like thing; I like blue you like red, each are colours (colors). Personal preference. I have a skimmer that I used with my new tank and I used it with the cycling process, I mainly did to practice my maintenance routine. As for my sump it came with my new tank, it just gives me extra water volume.

My 1st tank did not have a sump or a protein skimmer and my fish are very happy. Enjoy what you have, I would also suggest more LR, it looks good and helps with the filtration!

Back
Top Bottom