Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help with setting up a peacock mantis shrimp tank

Hi guys, i just joined this forum as it seems pretty solid for information and people seem to know what their talking about on here so i thought id start here for some good advice. I have never set up a marine aquarium before but i have done a lot of reading in these last few weeks and i have a vague understanding of what ill need and what to do.

Im wanting to set up a tank for a Peacock Mantis shrimp as i find them a fascinating creature but im not too sure on all the things ill need.
So far im having a 30g, half inch thick arcylic aquarium built to house the shrimp.
So far on my check list of things to buy and some questions about them:

Red Sea Prizm Skimmer Pro (are these any good? Im struggling to find a decent HOB skimmer for the tank the red sea seems to come with everything just plug in and use).
1x Aquaclear Power Head 50 (270gph will i need more than one?)
2x T8 tubes (marine white and blue) I have heard intense light can damage the mantis so will T8 tubes be adequete over T5HO? Obviosuly MH is out of the question
8kg live rock (enough rock for a 30g?)
20kg live sand
API Saltwater Testkit
Hydrometer
Salt Mix
Heater

I think thats everything there, if im missing anything or if anybody has owned a mantis shrimp before some pointers will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Oh im living in the UK so alot of skimmers like the Aquac Remora i cant purchase as they dont sell them over here and shipping from sites like marine world is about $175 international... Bummer

Old 12-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
octopus makes some decent HOB skimmers. i'd rather have one of those.
skip the aquaclear power head. look at hydor koralias or similar. they are affordable and decent.
intense light can damage a shrimp? i never heard that. i'd love to see a link to that info. btw, any fixture will do. you don't need a high output fixture.

i would probably go with about 25 pounds of rock (12kg+-)

i was not impressed with the aqua-c remora anyway, and wouldn't recommend it. no sweat!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, ill have alook into some different powerheads and an octopus skimmer.
i read about birhgt lights being damging on this article.
Peacock Mantis Shrimp – Odontodactylus scyallarus | Aquariums Life
Its the last sentence on the 5th paragraph in the additional information section.
Thanks again
Old 12-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #4

Just done abit of research on Octopus skimmers
As the tank will only contain the mantis shrimp as an inhabitant meaning not as much DOC will the Octopus NS80 Nano Skimmer do the trick?
http://www.swallowaquatics.co.uk/414...Skimmer.aspxOr would i be better off with the BH-100 skimmer
Reef Octopus BH-100 Hang On Protein Skimmer - Swallow Aquatics

Cheers
Old 12-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #5

This is also my first time setting up a marine aquarium.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #6

Nobody else have anymore advice?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Skip the skimmer. Weekly 10-20% water changes will do the same thing. I've heard that nano skimmers aren't very good anyway. Remember, if you do any in tank cleaning, kevlar gloves over chainmail. The mantis will strike hard and fast and it will hurt.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol dont scare him :P
Old 12-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #9

Ok so i went down to me LFS today to get a quote on a tank for the mantis apparently im going to need a tank thats practically bullet proof and its going to be quite costly :S. I wont be getting the mantis from this LFS as they don't know anybody who supplys them i will be getting it from a different one, however the guy from the shop when i was talking about it too him raised a very interessting point. How will i transport it? Obivously a polythene bag is out of the question and a polystyrene box would probably be even worse, A metal container is no good as the salt would make it release all sorts of chemicals.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Old 12-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
how about a plastic container, like tupperware.
btw, i don't know how true that is about the light hurting their shells. they are caught in shallow water. it's anything but dim there. i am guessing it's a problem if you have no hiding spots for it, and they have no shelter for days on end. i saw something about "shell rot". at the moment i can only find hearsay and no concrete data about it.
i'll keep looking.

and yep, the nano skimmers are junk. kdogg has some good advice. try it without the skimmer for a while, just do your water changes and see how it goes. you can always get a skimmer later if need be.

Tags
mantis shrimp, peacock, rim, setting up, shrimp, shrimp tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com