help with setting up a QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xahx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive recently got fed up with having marine ich in my 60 gal display, so today ive decided to begin treating my ich problem by putting my fish into a qt (soon)

I have a spare 40 gal that i am currently filling with RO water, and then i believe i will directly bring some water (10-15 gal enough??) from my display to the qt.

I have a spare aquaclear 300 for water flow and filtration, would it be neccessary to let the qt cycle?

if so, for how long? i understand i shouldnt have any LR or LS in the qt right? someone please correct me if im wrong!

Ive also been advised to use Cupramine to deal with the ich once i qt my fish, any comments or concerns ?

All the help possible is appreciated TIA, im new to this qt thing.

also, once ive handled the ich problem, is it neccessary to qt all new fish to prevent future infestations of parasites? how long? do new fish need to be treated?

Would a UV sterilizer be of any assistance?

I apologize again for the long post and ridiculous amount of questions, but this forum seems like the best source for my questions! and i got lots of them!

Care is efficeincy i always say

right, no LR or LS, since if you medicate you'll wreck them. Be sure to aim for 10x flow in your QT too.

Bacteria doesn't grow on water, it grows on surfaces. moving the water from the main isn't a bad idea at all, but you'll still need a cycled filter media. Many people recommend filter sponges, since they're disposable.

i was currently using LR in the aquaclear... so i should replace the rock with a filter sponge?

if you plan to medicate (which you should at least be ready to do, IMO), I'd take the LR out. In theory, you could yank the LR just before medicating, but I think you're better off with a disposable medium.

Hey thanks Man

Ive decided to use a carbon bag and a phosphate remover bag plus the sponge that came with it,

Do i need to worry about waiting for the biological filter to become stable? or can i go ahead and put fish in asap?

Ive decided to use a carbon bag and a phosphate remover bag
Don't need them. In fact I would omit them all together.
Do i need to worry about waiting for the biological filter to become stable? or can i go ahead and put fish in asap?
Place the fish, water quality should be maintained with frequent water changes. Daily ammonia tests will dictate the frequency.

Back
Top Bottom