Help with skimmer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch-b

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im really sorry for writing a lot of posts but im new to this saltwater hobby and im freakign out of everything i have a boyu wg-308 skimmer but the thing is there are some white stuff coming from the tube of the skimmer to the top of the water and my blue background has some small bubbles is this is dangerous im rly worried :l

img_2730809_0_670091bc6f09adb96c3e006ba0a534e3.jpg

It's not dangerous, but it's unsightly. I would toss that skimmer and just export nutrients with weekly water changes.

I second that. Also doesn't look like like you have a whole lot of water movement in the tank either the surface looks pretty calm. Not seeing any power heads either may be on the other side of coarse but make sure you have some surface agitation ig you junk the skimmer to promote O2 exchange. Tank looks good though.

i have a skimmer that's a skimmer in the picture

We both agree that you should get rid of that skimmer and add a power head for water movement. As I said above, the bubbles won't hurt anything, but that skimmer isn't going to do much in the way of helping anything either.

can i add a power head and leave that skimmer?

What you have are micro bubbles that are being introduced into the tank and collecting on the back wall and other areas in the tank not a big deal won't hurt a thing just a visual thing. With that type of skimmer in your tank you are going to have bubbles. Also on the surface it looks like you have a oily looking acclamation from lack of surface agitation which will most likely cause a lack of O2 exchange in the water and can be a cause of low PH in the tank to.

so i need a power head to get ride of those bubbles?

can i keep this skimmer and get a power head ?

The only way to get rid of the bubbles is get rid of the skimmer. You could try the sponge filter that should have come with it for the output of the skimmer. But in this hobby unfortunately you get what you pay for a skimmer that you can find for $14.50 is probably going to have its issues. https://www.fish-street.com/boyu_wg-308_protein_skimmer Like Mr_X said earlier you may want to get rid of the skimmer and do good water changes. Just add a good power head get some surface agitation and you should by good. Try a Hydor Koralia Nano 425 or something similar.

Back
Top Bottom