Help with starting a 20 gallon nano reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apollo6626

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone,
I have did freshwater for many years and currently have a 75gal with cichlids in it but I have always wanted to start a saltwater tank but never had the funds of time. Now I have access to all and the funding to do a nano tank but I am new to the entire idea and I need as much info as possible. I'm planing to do minimal fish as of right now, but more importantly, how can I keep mushrooms and other soft corals in this tank? I am aware of live rock, clean up crew, and everything life that but I am naïve as to anything reef related. Any input is appreciated on the reef or advice for the tank, thanks!

Lights, stability and regular maintenance are key! I agree light on the fish and heavy on the coral is in my opinion easier to keep and beautiful to watch!
Mushrooms require light to moderate light, powerhead to create flow not only helps with algae it also makes the softy corals look great to!

Lights, stability and regular maintenance are key! I agree light on the fish and heavy on the coral is in my opinion easier to keep and beautiful to watch!
Mushrooms require light to moderate light, powerhead to create flow not only helps with algae it also makes the softy corals look great to!

+1 but I got heavy on the fish and extremely heavy on the coral haha. :). Softies are great and can actually make for a pretty reef tank. Look into the current USA orbit lighting. It is nice and great for softies and some lps. You will probably need stronger though if you want sps/clams.

I don't er amend the orbit! Why limit yourself to softies and Lps? Eventually you will want to try a sps and the orbit just won't due! I had one and did not like its lack if intensity

I don't er amend the orbit! Why limit yourself to softies and Lps? Eventually you will want to try a sps and the orbit just won't due! I had one and did not like its lack if intensity

True true. They just seemed like a softy person...get a single 120 watt dimmable fixture off eBay :). Cheap and effective

I really liked my par 38's from rapid led! They are strong enough to grow sps and can look great over a tank!

I love my kessil, I just don't recommend it a lot because ppl see the price and run for the hills lol. Two par38s would probably work great too

I am currently doing some diy LEDs similar to the kessil because I could not handle the cost of them! I love the shimmer from a single point light source

Well see I may not limit to just soft, I just figured it would be easier. Ok so basically lighting is key, what about chemical dosing and supplements? I appreciate all the comments guys :)

As long as you use a quality reef salt, dosing is not required until you have a huge stony coral load

Alright got it, keep the levels stable. Ok so what else besides mushrooms would you recommend for a tank this size?

It will depend on your lighting. Other low light easy corals include zoanthids, Xenia, green star polyps. Increasing light, and you could keep lps like hammer corals, torch, frogspawn, Duncan's, acans, trumpet coral.

Wow this is great, I was afraid I wasn't able to do any types of coral. Thank you very much, I did a little research and what is your opinion on duel t5s, so a blue with actinic and a white daylight?

Wow this is great, I was afraid I wasn't able to do any types of coral. Thank you very much, I did a little research and what is your opinion on duel t5s, so a blue with actinic and a white daylight?

On a 20 that is probably low-medium light. You could definitely do softies and some lps. Maybe go for a 4 bulb fixture. They odyssea ones are only like $60 I think.

Back
Top Bottom