Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

help with sump build

i would like to know what over flow box flow rate i should use for a 20 gal sump refugium for a 75 gal tank . and return pump gal/hr i should buy.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

Uhm.. maybe you should go with a 600GPH overflow.. which would be a one inch bulkhead.. but for a tank that big maybe you would benefit better from a 1.5" bulkhead, or maybe two 1" bulkheads.

As for the return pump, you need to calculate the height from where the return pump will sit to where the return line goes over the lip of the tank, if you're not drilling the tank to begin with. Then, once you know what that height is, look for a return pump that is stronger. As an example, if it's 4ft from the return pump to the lip of the tank, then you would most likely want a return pump that can push water up 6ft, in order to give you extra flow in the tank. Because if you just got a pump rated for 4ft of head height.. you will have very little pressure coming from the return line. Just enough pressure for the water to just make it over the edge of the tank.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Most people suggest a total turn over rate of between 10 - 2 tank capacity per hour. I usually shoot for about half that coming from the main pump and half from power heads inside the main display. Fish only tanks don't usually require as high of flow and are closer to the 1 side. Tanks with a large amount of SPS and other coral which require high flow (since they are usually found in shallow reefs where the tidal currents and wave motion are high) are going closer to the 2 side.

So the first step for you is going to be to decide what you think you would like to keep in your tank and start planning from there. I would suggest shooting for 450-650 gph from your main pump. Be sure to take into consideration the head loss of your system. This is usually estimated by the pump manufacturer as a function of height.

Lastly, once you know what the flow from the main pump will be you can size your overflow and plumping accordingly. Be sure that you have some wiggle room in this factor as a "just in case". What i mean by that is if your pump puts out 650 gph make sure that your overflows can handle at least 750.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
lol oops all of my "0x"s turned into little green men. Not sure how that happened.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

balliinnn
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

ive got a eshopps overflow for up to 75 gallon for sell lol
Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
is back to save the day!

That's hilarious.. where the heck did those little green men even come from. Hahahaha
Old 06-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the eshopps 800gph syphon pipe type,great piece of kit,good price too.these are very quiet as well as long as you have good gph from your return pump,I have this on a 60g(UK gallon)with 2 sumps.another good thing with these is when the water flow gets louder it means your return pump filter needs cleaning.Have a look in my albums(new tank build)
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

how is this pump with the eshopps 800 overflow with a 4 ft head
Aquarium Sump Pump/Powerhead/Fountain Pump 530GPH!! - eBay (item 180517053433 end time Jul-06-10 06:24:26 PDT)
Old 06-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsmoker_3 View Post
i would like to know what over flow box flow rate i should use for a 20 gal sump refugium for a 75 gal tank . and return pump gal/hr i should buy.
Are those little green men flipping us off?

I would go with this:
Overflow Box - Up to 125 Gallon - Single - 8 in. x 3 in. x 10 in. | Wet/Dry Aquarium Filters | Filters | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

and this:
Eheim Universal "Hobby" Pump The 1260

Both are tried and true.... great reliable products.

Tags
build, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com