Help With Sump Design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolee0722

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if this would make a good sump design:
1st chamber: 2 media reactors
2nd chamber: refugium with live sand, live rock, and cheato and some other algae with a colony of copepods
3rd chamber: 2 heaters, and a protein skimmer
4the chamber: return pump
Please post opinions whether this is a good setup or not and if I need to add something to this sump design. Also, would all this equipment and lr and Ls be enough to filter a reef tank?

I as well as a lot of people are running the skimmer before the refugium to avoid skimming the pods out of the water before they make it to the tank. The sump I just build has 3 sections, 1st is my skimmer second is my fuge with my heater and last is my return pump.

Ok that is good to know so I'm thinking maybe moving the refugium all the way to the back right before the return pump.

Just like the others have said above, but I also put the heaters in the first chamber to warm things up for the pods.

Could I also just put the two heaters in the refugium?

Mine drains in then bubble trap- protein skimmer-fuge then another bubble trap, then return

So basically you will have 4 12" chambers. Give or take...Make sure you research your equipment. My skimmer has a 12x16" footprint which would not fit in any of your chambers. Most heaters are 12" or bigger. I would reconsider the 4 chambers and do 3 (IMO)

So basically you will have 4 12" chambers. Give or take...Make sure you research your equipment. My skimmer has a 12x16" footprint which would not fit in any of your chambers. Most heaters are 12" or bigger. I would reconsider the 4 chambers and do 3 (IMO)

Here is a few pics when I first built it.
The right side is the drain.
image-787096227.jpg

image-2690251666.jpg

The return is on the left.

image-2526524529.jpg

image-2333411945.jpg

My skimmer is a bubble Magus I built it around that. And I have 2 shortie 300w heaters.

Back
Top Bottom