Help with tank info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dosxxpapi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I have a question? I've been reading a lot of post and I see people talking about skimmers and sumps. I am new to salt water tanks so I really don't know what is the right thing to do for now and future. I currently have a 55 gal tank with about 35lbs of live rock. I am currently trying to finish my cycle and I will be adding fish soon. I am running a marineland canister,But my question is if I plan to add some corals later do I need to upgrade to a skimmer or dump?? I plan to start of with fish only but would like to add some coral nothing too much just enough to make tank look good. Can anyone help me as far as what I should be doing if I want to mix both fish and some coral?? Thanks

Hey guys I have a question? I've been reading a lot of post and I see people talking about skimmers and sumps. I am new to salt water tanks so I really don't know what is the right thing to do for now and future. I currently have a 55 gal tank with about 35lbs of live rock. I am currently trying to finish my cycle and I will be adding fish soon. I am running a marineland canister,But my question is if I plan to add some corals later do I need to upgrade to a skimmer or dump?? I plan to start of with fish only but would like to add some coral nothing too much just enough to make tank look good. Can anyone help me as far as what I should be doing if I want to mix both fish and some coral?? Thanks

A skimmer essentially pulls gunk out of the water, thus giving you lower nutrients. Many corals require low nutrients to survive. Most fish are much more tolerant of nutrients (nitrates, phosphates). A sump is not necessary. It gives you more water volume which helps maintain lower nutrients, and you can hide your equipment down there.

Good stuff so would u say leave canister and add a skimmer or just skimmer???

Back
Top Bottom