Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

1volt in electronic systems is different then stray voltage doing nothing in water.

in a way a grounding probe would be worse then leavign ti without, you're actually gettign a current flow through the water with one and i don't think most people realise its not the voltage that kills people its the amperage.

a GFI doesn't sense a leak in voltage it senses a leak in current. in electrical flow whatever leaves the source goes back to the source, voltage gets used up at the load but the current returns back so a GFI monitors the black wire which is your line, and your neutral which is your return

Old 06-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Long story short, don't worry about it. As for a grounding electrode, bad idea that will just make the aquarium and all it's occupants part of the circuit if there is an issue and that is bad, unless you want fish for supper lol. Even if your getting 120 volts in the tank it won't hurt anything as it's not completed circuit.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks everyone, so simply...

Grounding pole actually completes a circuit in the tank. Don't need to do that. Voltage is just a measure of the potential amount of electricity that could flow if a circuit was completed, but in itself, voltage is not doing anything to the inhabitants.

Right, or close to it?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
They do sell grounding probes for use in aquariums. I use them.

"Pumps, powerheads, chillers, and other aquarium electrical devices may emit stray voltage resulting in fish health problems like lateral line disease, fin erosion, and gill deterioration."
Old 06-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

DO NOT USE A GROUNDING ELECTRODE. if you have 1 volt of induced voltage it will drain it, if you have an electrical device fail (heater or powerhead) that is causing 120 volts to go into the water the grounding electrode will kill your fish. You can touch a live wire without consequence provided you are NOT grounded. Even having 120 volts in the tank would be fine if it has no path to ground.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Furthermore, if you have a GFCI plug running your equipment it will trip the second there is a problem with an electrical device so you will be fine without the ground rod. Better to cut power to the tank than make a circuit of it.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

a lot of controversial opinions on this topic. I dont entirely agree.. why have voltage in your tank even though its not doing harm? one day you can accidently complete the circuit with your body. Accidents do happen.But you will not kill your fish with a ground probe thats what your gfi is for to trip.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

A gfci takes a fraction of a second to trip. In that fraction of a second you have voltage being leaked into the tank, which when a ground probe is installed is called a completed circuit, that means dead fish. Installing a ground probe is a personal choice. I personally don't see any benefit at all, 1 volt is not an issue. Look at it like this. Let's use a garden hose an example. Water in the hose is voltage and the nozzle is the ground probe. When closed you have no water coming out but you open that nozzle and let the path continue. Not a bad thing necessarily, if your watering plants but would you open your hose in your living room? Another one is take a 9volt battery, stick your tongue to only one prong on it, that's an open circuit with potential. Now cover both prongs with your tongue, how does that feel? That's a completed circuit. 1 volt is not an issue as it can be instrument error. If it's a concern to you then feel free to address the issue but I will not ever be putting a ground probe in my tank. As far as why they sell them, my guess is because people buy them. Scream safety and offer a solution and the consumers line up to buy.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

agree 1v is not an issue... Just my opinion tho when I have a piece of equipment fail i personally would like to know right away so I can address the issue rather then just leave it in my tank. sorry but I dont agree on your statement of dead fish.. My fish did not die when my heater cracked and my gfi tripped. But yea it is personal preference I guess. again just my 2 cents.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes a gfci is a must and everyone should have one. I would recommend that over a ground electrode any day.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com