Help with voltage meter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heater failure

agree 1v is not an issue... Just my opinion tho when I have a piece of equipment fail i personally would like to know right away so I can address the issue rather then just leave it in my tank. sorry but I dont agree on your statement of dead fish.. My fish did not die when my heater cracked and my gfi tripped. But yea it is personal preference I guess. again just my 2 cents.

I had a heater fail too (Stealth) Some of my algae died but no fish. :fish1:

voltage is never an issue when it comes to eletrical shock, its the current flow behind it pushign through your body that harms and kills you. 1v is nothing even 10 volts. its like touching the leads on a 9volt battery, it won't do anything to you. you are not likley to get more then a volt or two of stray voltage i nthe water anyway if you do then there are other serious issues and you would be blowign fuses/breakers or having GFI trip outs.

there is no contriversial information that i am giving you. speakign from an electrician that knows how electrical power flows.

even sayign this a GFI won't save your system under a trip out, it will save you from dying though and really whats more important, you're life or your system

?

voltage is never an issue when it comes to eletrical shock, its the current flow behind it pushign through your body that harms and kills you. 1v is nothing even 10 volts. its like touching the leads on a 9volt battery, it won't do anything to you. you are not likley to get more then a volt or two of stray voltage i nthe water anyway if you do then there are other serious issues and you would be blowign fuses/breakers or having GFI trip outs.

there is no contriversial information that i am giving you. speakign from an electrician that knows how electrical power flows.

even sayign this a GFI won't save your system under a trip out, it will save you from dying though and really whats more important, you're life or your system
I donent dunderstand? 10 volts at 100 amps won't hurt you?

Last edited:
the amps will kill you. if it goes straight through your heart. stray voltages in a fish take will be cause by a magnetic field from pumps and powerheads it will not be carrying a current aka amperage unless there is a path to ground, then the resistance in the water will cause a current flow, water has a low resistance so the current will be minimal.

if you separate a wire and touch one end with one hand and the other hand with the other, then your body will act like a conductor allowing the current to flow right through you, if the current is more then 50milliamps there is a very good chance you will die of cardiac arrest, but it all comes down to how good of shape a person is, how old they are, how much water you have in your system, how fat you are as fat is a good conductor of electricity.

600 volts is alot of voltage, can cause a big explosion, can hurt but it is still livable, getting hit with an amp through your heart will kill you right away

Back
Top Bottom