Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-23-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to atjohns84
Helping starfish heal

I bought a Red/Orange Linkia star from an LFS Wednesday. It is about 1.5 inches around so it cant be very old. When I got it it was already missing most of one ray or leg. The guy at the store told me they regenerate. What can I do to help it? Some people have said give it a clean cut to prevent infection. Is that right? Did I get hosed?

I acclimated it for about 2 hrs and it has been moving around the tank glass and appears to be eating some of the algae off of the glass.

Are there any meds or vitamins I can put in to help him heal faster? What about the cut? There is a little bit of black stuff around the wound. Is that good or bad?

Please let me know.

10 Gal Fresh Water - Red Belly Pacu, Pleco, Albino Catfish, Rams Horn Snails

College Tankl-- 29 Gal Saltwater- Skilter Filter, Powerhead, CC, 30 lbs Live Rock, Yellow Tang, 2 Damsels, Tomato Clown, Banded Coral Shrimp, Flame Scallop, Leather Finger Coral, Leather Coral, Purple/Red Mushroom Coral, 2 emerald crabs, Random little anenomes, feather dusters and hermit crabs, Orange Linckia Star, Xenia

Home Tank - 55 gal SW
atjohns84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Just make sure of good water quality. I would probably do a water change to help out. The leg will grow back.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Most of these starfish don't do very well. If the starfish was missing a leg already I would say that he may have been on the decline.

Two hours for acclimation is much too short IMO for a linkia (or any invert really).

I agree...good water quality is your friend and just watch him.
demodiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com