Here I go!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drucifer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last year, I rescued a used 55 gal & stand and moved all my freshwater beasties and supplies over from my 29 gal.

Well, the 29 has been sitting idle and I've recently been bitten by the saltwater bug (God help me). Skimmer, RO/DI, and refractometer are on the way; there's a LFS with some good looking LR (which I will be mixing with some base rock) and "live" sand (which is in a bag on the shelf...*ahem*..."live" indeed). I plan on going FOWLR, but not ruling out corals in the future. My light is a 65W PC which will be OK for now, no?

The light will be OK for a FOWLR tank but if you ever do corals later down the road you`ll need more lighting. Good luck on SW tank.

Ditch the bagged LS and get some dry aragonite. Then ask the lfs or a local reefer for a cup or two of sand from an established tank. That's all you need.

I agree, don't waste your money on "live" sand. Just make sure you rinse the dry sand a few times to get the silt out. I rinsed 240Lbs, each bag 5-6 times and still had a good amount of silt. Once I added the sand into the water, I did a huge PWC to try and get the floating silt out. That worked out great.

I'll check for some dry sand, but if I can't find it locally, then I'll be going with the bagged stuff. Thanks for the suggestions!

Skimmer should be here Thursday, RO-DI Friday. Wife is going to be out of town this weekend, I'd like to have the tank set up and running/cycling when she gets back.

I`m wishing you the best. Remember Patience is a virtue. Take your time and all will go great.

At DrFosters&Smith they do not charge very much for shipping and you may be able to get more sand for your buck even with shipping compared to your LFS Aragamax Aquarium Sand
welcome to the site by the way.

shipping only 9.99 totalling about $33 dollars for 30# 1.09 per pound shipped to your doorstep

Or you could just use playsand for a sandbox that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes or even ToysRUs. It's not aragonite, but it is the right size.

Back
Top Bottom