Here I go..??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LIMentality420

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I'm going to start my tank now a 55 gal. fowlr. I been researching for 2 months now. I bought most of the stuff I will need. I have :
1 Bio Wheel 400
1Red Sea Protein Skimmer
2 Aqua Clear PowerHeads
1 underwater heater
150 lbs. of Sand (not live)
1 Hydrometer
1 Red Sea Marine Lab Test Kit
1 KENT Marine Starter Kit
1 55 gal. bag of Instant Ocean
I will be buying LR after I get the tank set up with salt water and sand in bottom. I'm buying it slow cause around here LR is 8.99 a lb. CRAZY. I'm trading my oscar,pacu and convict for 3 lbs. to the LFS. I put the rock in before I cycle my tank right. I'm going with the fishless cycle. So I ?
1. add RO water the tank.
2. turn on powerheads
3. add salt ( should I test ph. after of before sand)
4. add sand (how long after I add salt do I add sand?)
5. add some LR ( when should I start testing water ?)
6. add shrimp ( how long after I added the lr?)
7. test water till ph. 8.2, nitrites and ammonia 0, nitrates 0-10, calcium400-450.
8. once cycled do 15% water change
Anything wrong with these steps ? Are there perfect steps ? Appreciate all the help I get. I'd rather learn from others mistakes. Thanks....

Your equipment sounds fine. Add a heater or two and that will complete the setup. You might want to look into getting 1.5 - 2 lbs of lr per gallon and then you can remove the biowheel filter. Check with www.liverocks.com for great rock at approx $5 shipped per lb. The biowheel will eventually cause high nitrates unless cleaned often. Dont worry about adding any supplements for some time.

As for setting up you can add the LR once the salinity etc is correct. The LR may be enough to cycle the tank depending on how much you get and the dieoff it has. The shrimp added at the same time will insure a strong cycle. You will be done with the cycle when ammonia and nitrites hit zero. The level of nitrates depend on how strong of a cycle you had. Do a good water change to bring down the nitrates. At this time you are ready to go.

ok I would get more salt your going to need it and its cheeper in bulk.

I would add the sand to the tank before you add the water/salt, as it is not live
this will help keep from stirring up the sand. I would add the sand and then place
a plate on the sand and poor the water onto the plate. dont forget to rinse the sand
before you use it. Then add salt. dont worry about testing ph as of yet.

Wait a few days and get the pumps and temp stable. Then test water and if its not
totaly wack you can add live rock.

Not sure if a 50% water change is needed. I do more like 15-20%

Since your not in a rush I would get alot of base rock which will become LR. Check out www.hirocks.com for base rock, 30lbs for $48. The live rock you get from the lfs will seed the base rock and the sand.

1 Red Sea Protein Skimmer - uhhh, what model? If you bought a Prism, I'd return it before you open it, and get something decent...a CPR bak-pak 2R is the cheapest, yet still effective, skimmer you can buy. If you really have the cash, look at Aqua C Remora.

Also, liverock...$8.99 is outrageous. Look at liverocks.com - you can get 40lbs of beautiful keys rock shipped next day air for about $5 per pound, or less (depends on where you live in relation to Florida). I highly recommend their Keys rock, and their customer service can't be beat.

Back
Top Bottom