Here is the deal!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
I gonna be doing my 50 Gallon (new set up)

1: can I get bye without a hang on filter (I do have a millenium 3000) and just go Rock,Sand,and two Maxi-jet 1200 (should i get a third)? sand will be 4" southdown with ?LBS of live sand too seed? 50LBS of rock.

2: I can get some nice looking rock from http://www.harboraquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HA&Category_Code=LR For 4.50 a Lbs

Or I can get some from http://www.eastcoastclams.com/cgi-b...ispage&thispage=rock.shtml&ORDER_ID=349673454 For 2.50 a Lbs. but i'm told that the rock will cure in the tank for a couple of months. I am planning on cycling the tank with just the rock so my ? is won't all the nice life on that good rock from choice one die of in my cycling process. should i go with choice two?

Fuji seems to be the most popular. Is it your rock of choice?

Your plans sound fine. I would just get between 1 - 1.5 lbs of live rock. You will see some die off during curing but hopefully everything won't die. Also, the condition of the live rock when you receive it will determine how much die off you experience. If the rock has been sitting out of water for a long time, there won't be much life left on it. I don't have any direct experience with the vendors you listed so I can't comment on them. I bought my rock from Gulf-view. It's carribbean aquacultured rock. It is a different situation than buying fiji because it went form ocean floor to my house spending only about 12 hrs out of water. You experience very little die off when buying this rock.
I would only use the millenium if you want to run some carbon or phosphate/silicate pads. It should be easy enough to add it to your tank for those occations.
Do you plan on havng a refugium? If not I would also plan on buying a decent protein skimmer.

Brian

I recommend going 25lbs of dry base rock from HiRocks.com, and then add a 45lb box of Fiji LR from EastCoast Clams. If you choose to get rock elsewhere, beware that most Carribean Aquaculture and Florida Aquaculture rock is very dense and you dont get as much size wise for your money. Fiji rock is more pourous and light which also give your tank better fitration quality...The rock you get will be great to cycle the tank with and the LR will make the 25lbs live within a few months....You could get 5 lbs of LS to seed the DSB quicker. I wouldn't even use the Millenium Filter. The two powerheads and LR and DSB will be all the filtration you need. If you feed your inhabs once a day, and not more than they can eat in a few minutes, you don't even have to use a skimmer.

DISCLAIMER: (Many people run successful reef tanks without the use of a protien skimmer. however, it usually requires good knowledge of how the tank is working and keeping a close eye on water quality. If you are new to saltwater aquaria, a protien skimmer is recommended)

Tim, Also if your still price shopping for LR look at www.seacrop.com I have no idea on the quality of the rock as I have not gotten any from them. THis is what their site says

We are restructuring our main fish system and need to sell about 3 tons of Fiji Base Rock. This rock has been in this system for over 3.5 years. You can buy it by the lb and specify general sizes of the pieces you want- $2.50 per lb 100+ lb- $2.00 per lb.

Well if tampabay don't contact me soon to complete the order than I'll just have to tell them to forget it, cause. I believe they should be waiting on me, not me waiting on them.

If your looking for Florida aquacultured rock try www.gulf-view.com . I was totally satisfied with them and I believe they are a little cheaper than tampa bay saltwater.

Brian

I believe they should be waiting on me, not me waiting on them.

They will get back with you, during the day they are on the boat collecting the LR. I think it mentions this on their site somewhere.

I have only read of one person that was not completly satisified with Tampabay Saltwater, or Gulf-View, and that was because of the hitchikers.

Yea, just me being impatiant, I did order yesterday, but being a holiday they prob have a bunch o emails to catch up on.
Do you plan on havng a refugium? If not I would also plan on buying a decent protein skimmer.

Neither, I figured with the DSB that would do sort of the same job. I could use one of those long acrylic refugeium that hang on the back, but they can be pricey.

the tank is not drilled nor do I plan on any sumps.

As for a skimmer, I didn't need one for my 75 G until about 8 months, so I can always add if I have to.

I asked Fishfreek yesterday about star polyps, and low light, Now I'm thinking of yellow polyps...can they be keeped under a twin tube strip light? if so what will they eat?

Depends, some yellow polyps (stone polyps) are non photosynthetic and won't care what kind of light you put over them. They would need phyot and zooplankton, baby brine , brine mysis...etc...

TO be sure we would need to know the true latin name of what your was looking to keep. Yesterday you said star polyps. But my yellow polyps and my star polyps are very differnt aside from general color.

Here is a photo of my yellow polyps from a few months ago

Yellow_polyp_rock.jpg

Here are my star polyps

green_star1.sized.jpg

The star polyps grow a mat like structure where the others do not.

The first photo I posted yes is very simular if not the same as the one you posted.

They are simply known as yellow polyps or common yellow polyps or Parazoanthus axinellae

If you have the Aquarium Corals book they are found on page 189-91.

Prefers moderate light and corrent, individual fluted colonies ith unconnected polyps.

The second photo I posted is of a Pachyclavularia violacea or green star polyps. When I was in chat with you yesterday I was refering to these. They ca be found on page 119-21 of the Aquarium Corals book.

Hmm Decisions decisions, I like the picture of the green polyp on the coral skelaton at the bottom of pg 119.

Do you think that my Cinnamon Clown would like um?

Whoops, I tampa bay called and finalized the order. Good thing too cause somehow I told them dry base rock, when actualy I wanted wet. Never the less it comes in on Fri at 7:15 PM. Now all I have to do is find out where at the airport to pick it up :roll:

Back
Top Bottom