Here is the plan.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did not do a water change, but I added some cured live rock to help seed what I had and help out with the cycling process. Got a buddy that has been in the industry for a long time and he is gonna order 400 lbs of live rock some for his tank and some for mine and my brothers.

Wow! That's a lot of rock! Wish I had a helpful friend to provide my tank with some resources :lol: jk

Just weighing in on the starfish question real quick. Both serpent and brittle stars are coral safe, but the ubiquitous Green Brittle Star has been known, on occasion, to attack, kill, and eat fish, so I'd avoid that particular one.
Beyond that, size is the biggest limiting factor. Fromia starfish are reef safe and very beautiful, but need far more surface area for grazing than a 29 realistically can provide. I kept one in a 55 for about 6 months before it crawled into a stinging mess of tentacles and got itself killed. LOL

Ouch...what an unexpected way to die...I don't know if I should be laughing
or feeling pity for the little guy :lol:

I know. I yelled at him for the two days it took him to dissolve. But perhaps I expected too much fo a creature without a brain...

I finally added some animals after about two months of setting it all up I got a yellow watchman and a tiger pistol shrimp. Pistol has been digging up a storm in the tank. I have noticed some small white fan things on the live rock I picked up from LFS. It is clearish white with an oblong body and tentacle like things on top. I heard if one pokes aptasia it will shrink these do not move when poked. Tried getting pics but they did not come out charging my good camera now. Any ideas?
66867-albums10258-picture45273.jpg

Can't really comment if we can't see them. Could be a feather duster or glass nem...

When asking for identification, usually you need pictures. Unless you're describing something so alien that everyone gets curious. There is absolutely no shortage of images online for aiptasia, majano, feather dusters, etc. if its too small to take a pic, google the likely suspects and play the matching game.

I googled everything I could think of, glass anemones, aiptasia, tube worms, feather dusters, zoas etc etc, all except sponges and could not find any pics that look similar. Gonna borrow a friends nikon that should get the pic I need.

Now I found some type of long reddish brown worm with bristles on the end. And little white ant things, some type of pods i am guessing. Tried getting pic of the worm but the flash went off and poof it vanished.

Bristles only on an end? That's odd. Maybe a feather duster without its tube? Random factoid. Feather dusters are also bristle worms.

Figured out that they are somevtype of pineapple sponge. This tank is amazing! In the past week i have seen some type of worm maybe? It was about 4 inches long reddish brown and tubular. It had no legs and only bristles at the tip. I tried to get a pic but as soon as the flash went off BAM it was gone. There are little clearish ant things on the glass. Some type of pod im guessing and tonight i just found a snail! From research in the internet it is a stomatella (spelling?). Never thought I would anticipate getting home and looking at a tank for an hour searching for new life. I need a bigger tank.

tampa_nick said:
Figured out that they are somevtype of pineapple sponge. This tank is amazing! In the past week i have seen some type of worm maybe? It was about 4 inches long reddish brown and tubular. It had no legs and only bristles at the tip. I tried to get a pic but as soon as the flash went off BAM it was gone. There are little clearish ant things on the glass. Some type of pod im guessing and tonight i just found a snail! From research in the internet it is a stomatella (spelling?). Never thought I would anticipate getting home and looking at a tank for an hour searching for new life. I need a bigger tank.

Haha!! I think everyone who gets into SW at some point says "I need a bigger tank." Lol. It's exciting, isn't it? Just wait until you get actual fish and corals! Then you're hooked for sure!! Lol BTW, that's likely a bristle worm that you saw. Theres another type called a fireworm, but they're less common and aren't easily scared. As long as it doesn't get too big, it's fine; they eat dead stuff and detritus. Just don't touch it cuz the bristles can cause a rash and hurt kinda like having fiberglass in your skin from what I've heard. :) Welcome to the world of SW!!

I actually wrote an article about bristle worms. It's in the articles section of this site. Bristleworm and fireworm are interchangeable umbrella terms for polychaete worms.
That being said, as Beengirl stated, most polychaete worms are beneficial and no cause for concern. In fact, I would go so far as to say that an absence of bristle worms would be a serious problem. They are the best cleaners you'll ever find!
The "ants" you described sound like copepods. Again, a good thing. Stomatella snails are efficient little herbivores that will breed readily in our tanks. In terms of hitch hikers and 'accidental' life in our tanks, very few are cause for concern. Mantis shrimp, red bugs (if you keep sps), majano, and aiptasia anemone, for example. But for the most part, finding new life forms is indication of healthy biodiversity.
I totally understand how you feel. Even now, I stare at my tank up close to watch the tiny life forms. Mysid shrimp, copepods, amphipods, worms, stomatella, chitons, limpets, etc. It is really amazing.

66867-albums10258-picture45881.jpg

Tank as it sits now.

66867-albums10258-picture45882.jpg

Impulse buy. Can anyone identify it and advise me on care. I usually research my purchases but for 6 dollars I could not resist.

Longspine urchin. Diadema family. If memory serves me, they are considered reef safe. Their spines are venomous, however, so be careful handling.

Back
Top Bottom