Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its a smelly smell....a smell that smells.... Smelly. Quote from a great movie.. Lol.

But really, whats it smell like? My tank smells like a tide pool!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa_nick

Got some rock from a friend. It was dead so I scrubbed it and cleaned off some of the dead stuff in some distilled water.

Got it all set and nicely balenced so I can get some larger pieces of live rock from Tampa Bay saltwater, set them on top and create some caves underneath it. Will need some type of support in the back right hand corner. Any advice on the current set up? Remember this is my first salt tank. Rock on the left im gonna rotate to the left 90 degrees.

Also, water turned somewhat yellow and has an interesting odor to it. I pointed the PH up to create ripples to add some more O2. Should I put a bubbler back in? I have an extra air pump. Water change or just let it ride?
You generally don't want to use air pumps in saltwater. They tend to just create salt creep everywhere.

As for the smell, are you cycling with a dead shrimp, or do you think it's die off from the rock? I'd get some ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok no air pump. I am not using shrimp, its die off from the rock. ammonia was around .5 when i tested earlier have not tested nitrate or nitrites yet.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Woke up this morning and yellow hue is gone and the smell has mostly gone away. Gonna test the water tonight when i get home.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

ammonia is at 1ppm. should i do a partial water change? I have 40lbs of ocean carib live sand bought from petsmart and 10lbs of rock that died and i cleaned off.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I will just keep talking to myself here. LOL. Added a small piece of live rock to seed the rest and help with my cycle. I will keep that for awhile now and when levels drop off I am gonna get some rock from TBS. Will I have a huge cycle when I add more rock or will it do alright. I want to try and keep the good stuff that comes with it alive.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha, well I'll be following as it's interesting how you're not using a filter at all? Just using LR as your filtration? Cool method, really want to know how everything turns out! Probably shouldn't do a water change until your cycle is coming to an end. Did you add your sand yet? If you add it too late and your sand has gotten colonized with life they would most likely die from the added sand. Anyway, looks awesome
Old 09-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

I used 26 lbs LR in my 28gallon nano and 2 bags dry substrate over 2 week period and was lucky to have very little cycle. I believe, from what i've read, the more LR you have quicker it will cycle. Correct me if I am wrong please.
Not sure about the whole live sand thing but I got a cupful from lfs to seed bed.
Even if no one responds it turns into your own public journal.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Started with 40lbs of live sand, added some rock I got from my buddy it was live until it sat in a dry bucket for a couple weeks. Scrubbed it off and rinsed it well with ro/di water. Sat for 2 weeks and I just added a small amount of live rock to seed what I have and prepare so I can add the TBS rock and try to not lose the life on it.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds good so far, don't be doing a water change til your cycle has finished cos it's just getting rid of the ammonia source if you did change the water. What are your readings?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com