Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's probably the issue then. Slacking never goes without consequences! Well..almost never .

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Add a pH buffer to raise pH.

Baking soda can be used to raise it from 7.8 to about 8.0 but that's it. Most baking soda contains a desiccant to keep it from clumping which can lend to diatoms.

pH buffers don't use desiccants so that's not a problem and use magnesium and other compounds to raise pH beyond 8 to about 8.3-8.4.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depressed ph is usually related to excess build up of CO2. Opening a window for a bit can counteract this.

This can be demonstrated by testing the ph of a cup of tank water and then placing outside. After an hour test the water again and you will see a significant jump on most situations. For example 7.9-8.2
Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am going to have to move this thing in a couple weeks. Any suggestions?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moving tanks is never fun. Here's what I did. I had an empty tank of equal size sitting around (long story) so I moved that to my new place and set it near where I wanted my tank. Then I transferred about half the water along with the rocks, fish, corals, and inverts in five gallon buckets. Rocks embedded in the sand were left in place. I put all that in the temporary tank and drained the original down to the sand level, then covered everything with Saran Wrap. I then brought the tank and stand, placed them into their final location, and began to transfer the tank water plus newly mixed water. Leaving the Saran Wrap in place allows pouring in water without disturbing the sand. When at least half full, I started replacing rocks and whatnot.
I recommend having an extra heater, as my water dropped almost 12 degrees in the hours this process took. This is not a fun process. It is a lot of hard work. Have as many buckets as possible and extra sets of hands capable of carrying them.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Activist

Did not think about moving tank and stand all together thanks! I will have to pull all my rock though otherwise I will never get the pistol shrimp and goby out. Good thing he digs under it all and keeps it all stirred up.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

I actually couldn't find my pistol when I moved mine. Remember, taking rocks out of the sand will make a mess.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Activist

Today I added a couple turbo snails, 6 blue leg hermits(pistol keeps popping the ones that go near his burrow), and a small frag of zoas. Will post a pic as soon as they finish opening. Upon placing the frag I found a flat worm maybe. It was rectangular and clear with a white dot in the center. It moved around very strangely and then swam off the glass and got sucked into the powerhead. Hehe
Old 12-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Activist

Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Activist

All this talk about moving and I had to add another coral. lol. Couldnt help it I got one and I saw this and needed it. I would have died if I did not get it. LOL

Tank as it is now

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com