Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here is the plan.

My little brother decided to upgrade his 29g to a 55g. The 29G was a salt so I decided to use it as a salt also. This will be my first saltwater tank. I am going to try my hand at natural filtration so here is the plan.

Lighting: Deep Blue Solarmax T5, its a twin bulb actinic and 10k-48W bulbs.

Figure I will start with:
4-5 inch sand base
40lbs of live rock

Goal is to have:
3 small fish (1 clown the rest undecided)
hermit crabs
cleaner shrimp
cucumber (till its too big and then gets transferred to my brothers 55)
couple soft corals
sponges

I am hoping this combination will help in maintaining each other in conjunction with the live rock and sand. Let me know if theres anything that i should add or remove. This has been decided off a day of research and reading so more advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can't add starfish to a soft coral tank, usually eats the soft corals with the hermit crabs add in blue leg dwarf hermit crabs very in expensive and are very useful!

Old 09-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok minus one starfish thanks. Just got a Sicce Voyager 3 Powerhead, now I have to get a stand. I do not trust the dresser I have and the tank does not fit in the entertainment stand i have the opening is too small by a couple mm. Bum luck
Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Stand is together and I have 40lbs of sand in the tank. I used instant ocean reef crystals it is at 1.025. Just gotta wait till next weekend to go pick out some live rock, base rock and get some more sand. Tried posting a pic but it did not work. Its on my profile though.

Is there a post limit I need to hit before i can link pics?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Dont have the answer for the picture posting sorry but just so you know there are some reef safe starfish. Having said that, if you want a starfish i would go with a serpent star. reef safe and easy to keep as well as being a hardy little critter. I have one in 2 of my tanks and they are very cool. watching them curl up their legs with food attached is an awesome sight!

Good luck with your new project!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

serpent will be ok in a 29g?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

sure, why not? lol I wouldnt get one of those super big ones that are like a foot across but a regular serpent should be fine.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
sure, why not? lol I wouldnt get one of those super big ones that are like a foot across but a regular serpent should be fine.
My serpent does well in my tank dont bother anything imo id add some tongan nass snails great for keeping sand stirred and great scavengers also no food will get left uneatin if it hits the sand i have 25 in my 55g
Old 09-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Got some rock from a friend. It was dead so I scrubbed it and cleaned off some of the dead stuff in some distilled water.

Got it all set and nicely balenced so I can get some larger pieces of live rock from Tampa Bay saltwater, set them on top and create some caves underneath it. Will need some type of support in the back right hand corner. Any advice on the current set up? Remember this is my first salt tank. Rock on the left im gonna rotate to the left 90 degrees.

Also, water turned somewhat yellow and has an interesting odor to it. I pointed the PH up to create ripples to add some more O2. Should I put a bubbler back in? I have an extra air pump. Water change or just let it ride?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

oh and the tank smells weird. It is an indescribable smell.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com