Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I tried to star a thread on this but it never showed up so Im gonna try here. Does anyone know what this is.
When i bought it it looked like this
By the way your looking at 2 different specimens. I found them in the live rock tank and the guy at the LFS said they were recently dead coral. They as I write this the second one has also puffed up and now there are long threadlike strands coming out from them. I not sure im set up for this. was planning on FOWLR. Plus im in the middle of a cycle. Should I be concerned.
Or should I be happy. by the way the store has at least 3 more pieces like this being sold as live rock
Thanks in advance
Graz

Old 09-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

and by the way they about 4" in diameter. I looked around the net and I think they might be Circular mushroom coral. Still Im not sure what im dealing with.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like healthy plate corals to me.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok well it seems like thats it. Now my concern is this. I was not expecting this. Im in the middle of a cycle, not high readings though. Will they be fine. I gonna move them to the sand bed. And they are in very low light. Right now only 15 watts for the whole corner unit. I planning on some new lights but it may be a few months. I was not really planning on corals, and just happened upon them in the live rock tank. Oh yeah, feeding help would be great.
Thanks
Graz
Old 09-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well here it is set up and waiting for my numbers to drop.

40 lbs of live rock does not really look like much. I tried to go higher with it but this layout seemd nicest to me. I had 43 lbs but had to dump a piece to make room for those plates that found thier way into my tank. Probably ready for fish next weekend. My son said we have to start with a clown. Is there an upside to going with two of them?
Also any suggestions on other fish would be more then welcomed. This was gonna be a FOWLR but I have a feeling that by the new year it will start getting coral since im already looking for different lighting possibilities.
Anyway thanks for looking and keep the suggestions coming.
Graz
Here is another view
Old 09-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraz View Post
Well here it is set up and waiting for my numbers to drop.

40 lbs of live rock does not really look like much. I tried to go higher with it but this layout seemd nicest to me. I had 43 lbs but had to dump a piece to make room for those plates that found thier way into my tank. Probably ready for fish next weekend. My son said we have to start with a clown. Is there an upside to going with two of them?
Also any suggestions on other fish would be more then welcomed. This was gonna be a FOWLR but I have a feeling that by the new year it will start getting coral since im already looking for different lighting possibilities.
Anyway thanks for looking and keep the suggestions coming.
Graz
Here is another view
If you get two, over the course of about a year.....they will have paired up and it is possible they could lay eggs. As far as other fish go, you could add some kind of Goby, Firefish, Cardinalfish, Basslet etc.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I'm now at 62lbs of rock. Now my question is should I dump the sponge in my job filter and pull the carbon and refill with live rubble? Do I need the mechanical layer of filtration?
On the topic of protein skimmers. What are your thoughts on the aqua c remora or the CPR bak pak? I'll get some pics later tonight. Thanks again.
Graz
Old 09-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have the remora skimmer and I like it alot. The bak pak is good too. It's kinda just up to you. The bak pak I think has more of a footprint in your tank though while the remora is kinda smaller. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I thought I'd update the pics. Plus I just ordered my CPR Aquafuge 2 PS(HOB fuge/skimmer combo) should be here in a few days. A few of the guys at the LFS near me told me that I probably be able to nix the HOB filter im using once the fuge/skim are up and running for a couple weeks. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Oh, one more question before the pics. My nassirius snails have been leaving these lines on my glass(see last pic) They have been going up the glass in different areas and then when near the top the leave these curved lines under them. Anyone have any thoughts on what it is?
Well enjoy the pics. Any and all comments welcomed.

Thanks for looking
Graz
Old 10-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #20

Way to small for a tang

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com