Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here we go, First attempt 44gal build

Well i recently aquired a 44 gal corner pentagon and it was supposed to be a freshwater until my son saw "nemo" at the store and that was that. As of right now it is 3/4 full of water and sand/live rock will be added tomorrow. The LFS has cured Live Rock that you can choose from the tanks that currently stock fish. What is the best way to transport the rock? The store is 20-30min away from mine. Also what is better bagged "live" sand or just getting CaribSea Aragonite sugar sized and seeding it with sand from LFS tank or my friends tank? Is the LFS tank sand better because it also houses the live rock i'll be using? With the sugar sized sand can i still go about 3" deep? Sorry bout all the questions. Thanks in advance.
Graz

Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I got about 22 lbs of live rock today and also added sand. Could not do much cause its still cloudy from sand so I still have some arranging to do. can't wait for a clear view so I can get started building. the rock had lots of different things on it. One has a pretty large sponge and i've also noticed some small snails and some little tiny starfish. Is it safe to assume i want them all.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

As long as it does not dry out live rock will be fine put your foot down
Old 09-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question......
I am going with a HOB filter for now. I have heard to pull the ativated carbon and replace with more bio balls, is that the common thought on this? The filter has seperate sponge, chemical, and bio compartments.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

The carbon will only last about a month before it starts to put bad stuff back in the tank you could change it for more carbon or as you said swap it all together
Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I personally use carbon in some of my tanks and not in others. I liek the clarity it can help provide but like mentioned, it only lasts a few weeks and then you need to change it.

More biomedia is a good idea as well. I have mostly biomedia in my canister setup and in my 20L. And the sponge of course.

I;ve been switching my carbon over for chemipure which is supposed to be a better type of carbon resin that doesnt require changing as often. I have the same bag in my biocube since like July. LOL and my water is still clear and the parameters are ok. ( I have nitrates in my cube but that has nothing to do with the carbon)
Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, I prob make a small pouch of live rock rubble and slide into holder, that way its easy to switch to carbon if i need to, then i can just keep the pouch in the tank hidden till i need again. The filter also came with zeo-carbon that also removes ammonia inaddition to the activated carbon. Can this be used in the filter.
As far as the build goes I will be getting the rest of my rock tomorrow. I got about 22 lbs yesterday I'll get another 15-20 tomorrowalong with some live sand to seed my substrate. Hopefully i'll get some pics up when the clouds go away.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nope zeo carb is only for freshwater.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

i was pretty sure that was the case. I ordered it with the filter when this was supposed to be a freshwater setup. Ohhh how things have changed.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I also keep fresh water so I use any extra filter media with it for them.

Now you just need a FW setup. LOL

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com