Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Those are pretty high numbers, what kind of tests are you using. Other than that, it sounds like you are good to go. PH will be out of whack during the cycle and possibly a few months afterwards until the tank stabilizes. PH also fluctuates between lights on/off. It will be higher after lights on and lower after lights out. Make sure you are testing the same time to keep up with consistent readings.

+++EDIT+++
I just saw that last part about scrubbing the rocks. I wouldn't worry about them and just leave them in the tank.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

They seem high? I'm using API saltwater Master Test Kit. Aren't the Nitrite supposed to rise as the ammonia falls? On the 11th my ammo was over 8.0 and Nitrita was 1.0. also a rem8inder I had 2 jumbo shrimp in there for about 4 days. I understand what you say about the ph also will try to test before the light go on.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:56 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Those numbers are normal for a full cycle. Don't worry about the pH until the cycle completes. You still need the ammonia and nitrite to fall to 0 and stay there. Donot clean the rocks or sand bed yet. Let the cycle complete. Then do a 30% - 50% pwc to clean the system and get the nitrates back in line. At that point you can clean the rocks of any remaining dead stuff.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 AM   #24

Well the **** with it then, I wont touch the tank everybody happy. I'll just keep looking at the rocks. LOL I need something to do.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:18 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoeybx View Post
Well the **** with it then, I wont touch the tank everybody happy. I'll just keep looking at the rocks. LOL I need something to do.
I struggled with being patient as well it can be difficult for sure especially when you are excited>

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

I know how tough it can be. I was told to add a rubber duckie if I needed to see something in the tank. I passed on that idea.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #27

Well Just a little update on things. Ammo has been 0 for about a week now. Nitrite is 5.0+. Nitrate is about 20ppm. Smell is still inside of rocks. Snails are going strong still. Very happy about that. 2 of them are even starting to climb all over the LR. I've been keeping the skimmer off. Just running powerheads and filter with carbon. There is some brown spots starting to form around the sand in some spots, I'm taking this as diatoms and is just part of the cycle. Also been keeping the lights off.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

Patience is the key. Sounds like the cycle is nearing the end. You shouldn't have any bad smell with the ammo down to 0.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
Patience is the key. Sounds like the cycle is nearing the end. You shouldn't have any bad smell with the ammo down to 0.

The water doesn't smell t's when I smell the inside of the rock. Is that normal even if you say they shouldn't smell.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:10 AM   #30

Ok well after alot of research and contemplation, Ive decided to make my 20 gal FW tank into a quarantine tank for my display. I figured it will be the best thing been reading alot of stories about ick messing up the whole tank.

So can someone give me some advice how to go abot setting this thing up. I'm gonna have it bare just some pvc pipes and a sponge filter.

1.Should I use saltwater from my tank or basically start new?

2. I was thinking about taking the Aquaclear 3 stage filter I have on my saltwater and put it on the quarantine tank, it's been running in there since day 1. I was just running the spong and the carbon in it. Will this work in seeding the QT?

3. Will I need a powerhead?

4. Please tell me I can keep my hood on it and keep oxygen levels good?

Here is a pic of the tank still have the fish in it. Gonna trade them in for store credit. They been with me for just about a year now, its gonna be sad to see them go. Will this suffice for a decent QT.

I plan on doing this this weekend when my next batch of salt should arrive. By the way Ammo is still 0. Nitrites are declining 3.0. I'm almost there.

Please help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1639.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	12775   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1640.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	12776  

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com