Here We Go My 55 FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are pretty high numbers, what kind of tests are you using. Other than that, it sounds like you are good to go. PH will be out of whack during the cycle and possibly a few months afterwards until the tank stabilizes. PH also fluctuates between lights on/off. It will be higher after lights on and lower after lights out. Make sure you are testing the same time to keep up with consistent readings.

+++EDIT+++
I just saw that last part about scrubbing the rocks. I wouldn't worry about them and just leave them in the tank.

Last edited:
They seem high? I'm using API saltwater Master Test Kit. Aren't the Nitrite supposed to rise as the ammonia falls? On the 11th my ammo was over 8.0 and Nitrita was 1.0. also a rem8inder I had 2 jumbo shrimp in there for about 4 days. I understand what you say about the ph also will try to test before the light go on.

Those numbers are normal for a full cycle. Don't worry about the pH until the cycle completes. You still need the ammonia and nitrite to fall to 0 and stay there. Donot clean the rocks or sand bed yet. Let the cycle complete. Then do a 30% - 50% pwc to clean the system and get the nitrates back in line. At that point you can clean the rocks of any remaining dead stuff.

Well the **** with it then, I wont touch the tank everybody happy. I'll just keep looking at the rocks. LOL I need something to do.

I know how tough it can be. I was told to add a rubber duckie if I needed to see something in the tank. I passed on that idea.

Well Just a little update on things. Ammo has been 0 for about a week now. Nitrite is 5.0+. Nitrate is about 20ppm. Smell is still inside of rocks. Snails are going strong still. Very happy about that. 2 of them are even starting to climb all over the LR. I've been keeping the skimmer off. Just running powerheads and filter with carbon. There is some brown spots starting to form around the sand in some spots, I'm taking this as diatoms and is just part of the cycle. Also been keeping the lights off.

Patience is the key. Sounds like the cycle is nearing the end. You shouldn't have any bad smell with the ammo down to 0.

Patience is the key. Sounds like the cycle is nearing the end. You shouldn't have any bad smell with the ammo down to 0.

The water doesn't smell t's when I smell the inside of the rock. Is that normal even if you say they shouldn't smell.

Ok well after alot of research and contemplation, Ive decided to make my 20 gal FW tank into a quarantine tank for my display. I figured it will be the best thing been reading alot of stories about ick messing up the whole tank.

So can someone give me some advice how to go abot setting this thing up. I'm gonna have it bare just some pvc pipes and a sponge filter.

1.Should I use saltwater from my tank or basically start new?

2. I was thinking about taking the Aquaclear 3 stage filter I have on my saltwater and put it on the quarantine tank, it's been running in there since day 1. I was just running the spong and the carbon in it. Will this work in seeding the QT?

3. Will I need a powerhead?

4. Please tell me I can keep my hood on it and keep oxygen levels good?

Here is a pic of the tank still have the fish in it. Gonna trade them in for store credit. They been with me for just about a year now, its gonna be sad to see them go. Will this suffice for a decent QT.

I plan on doing this this weekend when my next batch of salt should arrive. By the way Ammo is still 0. Nitrites are declining 3.0. I'm almost there.

Please help.

Attachments

• 100_1639.jpg
    100_1639.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_1640.jpg
    100_1640.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 65
Your filter is perfect. You will want to do a 50% PWC on your tank before using that water for the QT. Assuming you want to set it up now I would just use a fresh mix of sw and your filter.

Yes to a power head, just to add some flow. I woul point it to a corner to make it bounce off two walls.

No to a glass top if that's what you are referring to.

Your filter is perfect. You will want to do a 50% PWC on your tank before using that water for the QT. Assuming you want to set it up now I would just use a fresh mix of sw and your filter.

Yes to a power head, just to add some flow. I woul point it to a corner to make it bounce off two walls.

No to a glass top if that's what you are referring to.

I figured also that my cycling water wouldn't be any good to use on the QT. But if I was to start With fresh salt mix would I have to let the cycle go all over again or would the filter make the water suitable. I will have this setup by saturday. I want to be able to put a fish in there by next sat. Is that possible. I also want to use the 2 airstones I have in there instead of a power head, will this work? And the hood I am talking bout is the one thats on the FW tank. The hole in the back is very wide looks like a decent amount of air will get in there.

Also I rather start with a fresh mix of SW. I used tap water for my initial fill up. Didn't have an RO/DI back then. That would give me some time to do PWC's and dillute that tap out. So I figure I would buy my first fish next week if the QT is ready. Keep it there for 3 weeks atleast. Move to the main tank. Then repeat with new fish every month. This is a good way to eliminate disease and build up my tanks bio-load right. My first fish is gnna be a Clownfish my kids want a nemo.

The filter that you move over will bring all the bacteria you need. If the tank is going to be fallow for a week you should add a couple of flakes of fish food to breakdown and become a source of ammonia to feed the bacteria. It doesn't take much.

I like to go 30 days minimum on QT for a new fish.

I would put a power head in that QT tank and aim it so the surface is rippled to help with the gas exchange. If the pH remains stable (take a reading at the same time each day) then the hood is not a problem. Is the 'hole' along the entire back area of the tank?

Make enough fresh mix to allow for 20% pwc twice a day if necessary in QT for the first week. That would be a gallon bucket or two at the ready. Keep them covered till needed.

When the cycle is complete in the main tank you want to do a 50% PWC or a couple of 30% PWCs to that tank.

Woo to the Hoo. My tank seems to be cycled. I tested everything yesterday Ammo-0 Nitrites-0 Nitrates 5 -10ppm. Didn't believe it at first. So I waited another day same results. Does this means everything is good. If so is it ok to do a PWC? I've been wanting to clean up that die-off for a while now. But a few peices of the rock still smells, the big ones. Does this means that the rock isn't cured yet fully. I still plan on waiting a couple of weeks to put a fish in there. Still trying to get this QT set up.

Well everybody went out got a 10 QT. Didn't have the heart to get rid of my FW fish. Been with me for over a year.
I used fresh saltwater and am seeding it with my Aquaclear 70. SG is the same as main.
What do I do now?
When will it be ready for a fish?
Am I waiting for the cycle to start over again?
What's sup with PWC's?

Back
Top Bottom