Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 AM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ish/Page1.html

This article should help you.

Good move on the QT tank setup!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

Your filter is perfect. You will want to do a 50% PWC on your tank before using that water for the QT. Assuming you want to set it up now I would just use a fresh mix of sw and your filter.

Yes to a power head, just to add some flow. I woul point it to a corner to make it bounce off two walls.

No to a glass top if that's what you are referring to.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
Your filter is perfect. You will want to do a 50% PWC on your tank before using that water for the QT. Assuming you want to set it up now I would just use a fresh mix of sw and your filter.

Yes to a power head, just to add some flow. I woul point it to a corner to make it bounce off two walls.

No to a glass top if that's what you are referring to.

I figured also that my cycling water wouldn't be any good to use on the QT. But if I was to start With fresh salt mix would I have to let the cycle go all over again or would the filter make the water suitable. I will have this setup by saturday. I want to be able to put a fish in there by next sat. Is that possible. I also want to use the 2 airstones I have in there instead of a power head, will this work? And the hood I am talking bout is the one thats on the FW tank. The hole in the back is very wide looks like a decent amount of air will get in there.

Also I rather start with a fresh mix of SW. I used tap water for my initial fill up. Didn't have an RO/DI back then. That would give me some time to do PWC's and dillute that tap out. So I figure I would buy my first fish next week if the QT is ready. Keep it there for 3 weeks atleast. Move to the main tank. Then repeat with new fish every month. This is a good way to eliminate disease and build up my tanks bio-load right. My first fish is gnna be a Clownfish my kids want a nemo.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

The filter that you move over will bring all the bacteria you need. If the tank is going to be fallow for a week you should add a couple of flakes of fish food to breakdown and become a source of ammonia to feed the bacteria. It doesn't take much.

I like to go 30 days minimum on QT for a new fish.

I would put a power head in that QT tank and aim it so the surface is rippled to help with the gas exchange. If the pH remains stable (take a reading at the same time each day) then the hood is not a problem. Is the 'hole' along the entire back area of the tank?

Make enough fresh mix to allow for 20% pwc twice a day if necessary in QT for the first week. That would be a gallon bucket or two at the ready. Keep them covered till needed.

When the cycle is complete in the main tank you want to do a 50% PWC or a couple of 30% PWCs to that tank.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #35

Woo to the Hoo. My tank seems to be cycled. I tested everything yesterday Ammo-0 Nitrites-0 Nitrates 5 -10ppm. Didn't believe it at first. So I waited another day same results. Does this means everything is good. If so is it ok to do a PWC? I've been wanting to clean up that die-off for a while now. But a few peices of the rock still smells, the big ones. Does this means that the rock isn't cured yet fully. I still plan on waiting a couple of weeks to put a fish in there. Still trying to get this QT set up.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #36

Well everybody went out got a 10 QT. Didn't have the heart to get rid of my FW fish. Been with me for over a year.
I used fresh saltwater and am seeding it with my Aquaclear 70. SG is the same as main.
What do I do now?
When will it be ready for a fish?
Am I waiting for the cycle to start over again?
What's sup with PWC's?

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com