Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks guys, it seems like having the rock on the back of the glass really helps support the structure overall, the water is clearing up and I've changed the rock a little, heading out today to get my HOB, some live rock, testing supplies, and a couple of shrimp, wish me luck I'll probably take the advice on getting another PH too, what placement generally works best with 2 PH's my tank is kinda tall 36x12x24. I have the one place now so that it creates a ripple on the surface and the waves go all the way across the tank but it seems like I should have some flow near the bottom portion of the tank too?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00818.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	21023  

Old 10-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

A good starting point is having one in the back upper right corner aiming to the center and another in the back upper left corner aiming to the center as well. This will give you a "V" flow pattern. Might try aiming them up towards the surface a bit so you get surface aggitation which will help keep your PH stable. HTH.

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #13

Thanks, I bought the last koralia the LFS had the other day so I'm waiting for another to come in, today I decided to go with a Fluval 205 canister, then got me 4 nice little pieces of LR from the LFS, too expensive to get any more my connection didn't call me back yet so I figured these 4 1lb pieces would at least get me started, put in my 2 shrimp and topped off the water and now I'm waiting to see what happens. Here's another pic with my canopy on. Also, when is a good time to put in a CUC?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00822.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	21027  
Old 10-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

After your cycle finishes is about the earliest I would recommend. Start with small numbers like 2 snails for the rock and glass, and 3-4 nassarius snails for the sand.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Shrimp in now. You got an ammonia and nitrite test kit, right?

After the nitrite hits zero for the CUC, that of course happens after the ammonia hits zero.

Keep us posted on the readings.

My 2 cents on the rock...

You might consider leaving an area large enuf on the sides free of rock too. The sides can get pretty ugly after a while and you'll want to clean them. Just enuf room to fit a scraper down the sides will do.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good luck with the setup

I've got the same tank.. I love it but I already want a 4ft tank

It is narrow and the extra 6 inches of height does make it a chore to get you hands down to the bottom. But not terrible.

Your stand is VERY nice... Good work. I'm jealous. Mine is pretty ghetto.. LOL.. Check out my photo albums
Old 10-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

i guess the last thing you could now get, would be an RODI unit. but you dont really HAVE to, but it helps a lot.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #18

Well my rock contact called me and I went and got another 16lbs of LR @ 7.50 a lb, itís really good rock and these guys work out of their garage where they have 1200 gallons of water with livestock, rock, etc. They do really good work on residential and commercial jobs, their website is Aquarium Solutions, LLC - The solution for all your aquarium needs - Wilmington, NC - Design, Install, Maintenance, Custom Refugiums - Main, thought Iíd share it for them. Iíve changed around my rock a little, thanks to some advice from the posts and my wife wanted the little fake plants in there for now so thereís some movement until we add the CUC then the fish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00839.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	21034  
Old 10-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Any way to stack them so that there are large swim thru holes in between the rocks? Use marine putty if needed.The fish will love it and the water movement thru them helps with the cleanliness and such too. Aesthetically, you'll like it I'll bet. Lean'm on the back glass and stack'm higher in order to get those large holes in between the rocks

Speaking of aesthetics, those fake plants will get real ugly soon.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah, you just have to avoid just throwing them in there. stack them in different ways. expirement with them.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com