Hermet crab Qu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zuppie2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to the LFS and picked up some Hermit crabs I got 2 Mexican Red legs and 1 Scarlet leg the crabs of mexican decent
ran off and started cleaning but the scarlet didn't move he just sat there for like ten hours this morning he moved up on to a peace of LR should I be worried?

back on topic, as long as all your water parameters are fine, I wouldn't worry as long as he moves. Sometimes they can take a bit to be comfortable before they are roving the tank.

I have a few scarlet hermits, even after over a year they still like to sit in one spot for long periods of time, I think they might be halfway nocturnal.

My scarlet hermit hardly ever comes out in the day. I catch a glimpse every now and then, but he definitely sits in one spot for very long periods of time. He's molted twice, so I'm sure he is healthy.

melosu58 said:
How did you acclimate them?
I flated the bag for half an hour then I plkes some holes in ti so the water will mix abit for a nother 20 min but all three were in the same bag so thats not it.

Personally, I like to drip acclimate my inverts for at least 2 hours (this gives me time to do other tank stuff). Remember, we don't want LFS water in our tanks. There is no telling what kind of nasties they have in their tanks.

I agree with Scott that you dont want to mix the LFS water in your tank. Too much of a chance of adding undesirables like parasites or medications.

The one guy at my LFS that I usually try to talk to will even tell me to drip the things I get from different tanks separately. If I get some sails from one of their systems, and a coral from a different one, he tells me to drip them in different buckets. So you may want to keep that in mind if your LFS has more than one water system feeding different tanks.

I think that's primarily because they might keep the systems at different parameters. If the fish/snails are kept at 1.021 and the corals at 1.025, then throwing those two bags of water together in your bucket is going to be quite the shock for both of them - and kind of mess up the whole idea of slow acclimation to start with!

Well it happened I woke up last night at like 3 am and took a peek at the tank the scarlet and one of my bigger snails were in the mist of battle ( the snail won ) scarlet was out of her shell when I got up for work and the clennup crew had started working on her

???? A snail beating up a hermit crab? You sure the crab is dead?..It might have molted. The first time my scarlet molted I thought it died as well, next day I saw it crawling around.

Back
Top Bottom