hermit crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat6274

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need help. I started my salt water 55 gallon tank a few weeks ago. Something is eating my hermit crabs leaving only the head and claws. Is it possible they are eating each other?

2 clown fish, snails, hermit crabs, but then in the live rock I bought I now have asterina sea stars, and in three holes what looks like maybe small somethings with tan legs. The come out at night. I caught one. Smaller than my finger nail, legs and all.

I just found a picture and I think I have 3 brittle stars that are hiding in holes in my live rock. Are they coming out at night and eating my hermit crabs? Should I get them out of my tank?

I think you have hermit crabs molting. Are you noticing any more empty shells than usual?

Hermits will kill each other for shells. It is rather disturbing to watch when there is shells all over the tank they could pick up and try out. I have seen a hermit kill a snail to try on its shell that was to big for it. It could only back up so, it backed up in a circle just to crawl back into its old shell.

Hopefully yours is just molting.

those things with the tan legs are probably mini brittle starfish. they are ok. no need to catch them. i agree that hermits will kill each other and snails for their shells. i once had a hermit kill 3 snails in one day, swapped shells 3 times.

Back
Top Bottom