Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

That would be correct. As you add more fish you'll have more waste and need a larger cleanup crew. I prefer to keep my tank clawless except for a lone cleaner shrimp. I do have a variety of snails though.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks!

There is so many different snails, what are the main differences between them?

I hear a lot abot turbo snails...

And I cant seem to find a compatibility chart for inverts with other inverts cuz i want to know if different crabs, snails, shrimp etc can live with each other.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

i wanna get

some scarlet hermit
snails (will have to research which ones)
coral bandit shrimp
Pacific Clown Anemone Shrimp
Old 09-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

You asked....

Nassarius Snails - Nassarius spp. They mostly stay in the sand, but will sometimes make short trips up the glass. They are mainly detritus eaters and do an excellent job cleaning and shifting the sand. These are also some of the most hardy snails available. They can flip themselves upright very easily. They are fun to watch as they come bursting out of the sand bed at feeding time.

Onyx Nassarius -Ilyanassa spp. (Black Mud Snail, Black Nassarius Snail ) snails are very good at keeping sand beds completely clean of algae as well as other organics. They may occasionally strip a sand bed of enough nutrients that there will be none left to support copepod or amphipod populations. If you keep dragonets (e.g. Mandarins) that rely on healthy populations of copepods and amphipods do not get these. They are also a cooler water species and may not last that long in higer temp tanks like reef tanks.

Cerith Snails-Cerithium spp. (Cortez) - Good algae and detritus eaters that forage rock, glass, and sand. Some can pick themselves up and some cant.

Cerith Snails (White)- Good algae and detritus eaters that seem to stay in the sand more than the cortez, but can be found on the rock and glass. Once again, some can pick themselves up and others cant. These are good sand bed snails.

Astrea Snails -Astraea tecta: Most common of all saltwater tank snails. They are excellent algae eaters and will forage all over the rock, sand, and glass. These guys fall very easily, can not right themselves, and then die.

Margarita Snail - Margarites pupillus. (Stomatella Limpet Snail, Pearl Snail, Little Margarite Snail, Pearly Topped Snail ) Another snail to add to the algae eating aresnal. Will cruise around on the rock and glass.

Fighting Conchs - Strombus gibberulus. Little vacuum cleaners. One per 2 sq. ft. of sand. They'll eat diatoms and, sometimes, cyano. Get one per 2 sq. feet of tank is what was recommened to me. They tend to disappear behind the rocks for a few days then come back around to the front again.

Nerite Snails - Nerita spp. Mostly a rock and glass snail that are all about the algae. They may crawl above the water line of your tank as they often become exposed in the wild during low tide. Mine usually end up in the sump where they can get above the water line and come back down when they want to.

Turbo Snails : They are big and clumsy. They'll knock over or move anything that isn't glued/nailed down. Actually I had one knock a coral frag that was glued to a a plug right off the plug. But, they will attack hair algea. Mine are now escargot size and I moved them to the sump because they were always knocking corals off the rock and plugs they were attached to.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice...

You know how there's a 2ft rule for the conch.

Do the other snails have a rule of thumb?

Will I have any specific issues with:

some scarlet hermit
coral bandit shrimp
Pacific Clown Anemone Shrimp

I wish there was some invert compatibility chart like the fish one...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Hermits can eat snails.
CBS can and will eat other inverts and possibly smaller fish (depending on it's attitude).
If you are planning on adding Clowns and an anemone, the clowns may possibly kill the shrimp (I know this is true with the anemone crabs).

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did you mean the CBS will kill the clowns?

Ya I wanted to get the anenome shrimp aswell.. So they are not compatible with CBS? aww...
Old 09-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
CBS can turn out really mean, at least that is what I have read. I have read of CBS killing smaller fish.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah. Hermits eat snails. Some more than others. But I'm just one to believe that it's a natural thang to happen when hermits need larger homes. I like letting it all happen and simply adding more snails once a year maybe.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #20
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I use these with pretty good results and never seen them mess with my corals. I`ve yet to see them messing with my snails.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hermit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com