Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey all I was just wondering if there was a chemical that we coullive rock substitute

Hello I was wondering if there is a chemical that we could add to new salt water to grow bacteria on top of lace rock without having to add live rock right off the bat? My lfs is $7 a lb and I'm not in a huge hurry to throw fish into the tank... any advice to be great thank you

Old 10-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Uhh i dont fully understand but you can get some non live rock(cheaper) and some live rock and the live rock will make the base rock live

Old 10-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpon View Post
Uhh i dont fully understand but you can get some non live rock(cheaper) and some live rock and the live rock will make the base rock live
I guess I'm asking is is there some bacteria or something that we can add to just dead rock to make it become alive?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are patient, you can do all base rock and sand. Then get a cup of live sand from your LFS or a friend and use it to seed the base rock and sand. It will take some time but will work. You will need an ammonia source to get the bacteria to grow. If it were me, I would use pure ammonia (must be pure - Ace Hardware brand is good). Get the ammonia up to 4 ppm and keep it that way for a month or more.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
If you are patient, you can do all base rock and sand. Then get a cup of live sand from your LFS or a friend and use it to seed the base rock and sand. It will take some time but will work. You will need an ammonia source to get the bacteria to grow. If it were me, I would use pure ammonia (must be pure - Ace Hardware brand is good). Get the ammonia up to 4 ppm and keep it that way for a month or more.
So it'd be a month or more before I could put fish in?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats about how long cycling takes
Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thats about how long cycling takes
+1 Even if you use a good amount of live rock it could take a month or two. If you do it the way I mentioned it would be longer but much cheaper. If you haven't read it, read these two articles and it will help you understand much better.

Curing live rock? I didn't even know it was sick!

Cycle your salt tank
Old 10-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
+1 Even if you use a good amount of live rock it could take a month or two. If you do it the way I mentioned it would be longer but much cheaper. If you haven't read it, read these two articles and it will help you understand much better.

Curing live rock? I didn't even know it was sick!

Cycle your salt tank
Cool I will get some ammonia and some lace rock and see what I can come up with them just let it hang out for a while
Old 10-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need to have a test kit so you know when the cycle is finished
Old 10-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You need to have a test kit so you know when the cycle is finished
+1.........

The good news is, you can do a lot of research on fish, corals and SW care while you wait for it to cycle. Worth every minute.

Tags
chemi, chemical, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com