Hey all I was just wondering if there was a chemical that we coullive rock substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello I was wondering if there is a chemical that we could add to new salt water to grow bacteria on top of lace rock without having to add live rock right off the bat? My lfs is $7 a lb and I'm not in a huge hurry to throw fish into the tank... any advice to be great thank you

Uhh i dont fully understand but you can get some non live rock(cheaper) and some live rock and the live rock will make the base rock live

Uhh i dont fully understand but you can get some non live rock(cheaper) and some live rock and the live rock will make the base rock live

I guess I'm asking is is there some bacteria or something that we can add to just dead rock to make it become alive?

If you are patient, you can do all base rock and sand. Then get a cup of live sand from your LFS or a friend and use it to seed the base rock and sand. It will take some time but will work. You will need an ammonia source to get the bacteria to grow. If it were me, I would use pure ammonia (must be pure - Ace Hardware brand is good). Get the ammonia up to 4 ppm and keep it that way for a month or more.

If you are patient, you can do all base rock and sand. Then get a cup of live sand from your LFS or a friend and use it to seed the base rock and sand. It will take some time but will work. You will need an ammonia source to get the bacteria to grow. If it were me, I would use pure ammonia (must be pure - Ace Hardware brand is good). Get the ammonia up to 4 ppm and keep it that way for a month or more.

So it'd be a month or more before I could put fish in?

Im happy to say that twitch has moved well past the " learn to research" phase lol. Id buy just a pound or two of live rock (make sure you pick out the best rock) and the rest would be base rock

Back
Top Bottom