Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

hey all!! new to these forums, and i got a few questions :)

hi there! just stumbled upon these forums and ill just say, this is awsome!!

anyways, i have had a saltwater tank in the past and had fun learning and keeping up with it, but the filtrs and acessories were a bit essentric. i revamped my system (the fire fish i gave to a friend, along with a damsel or two) because i had to save up and buy new parts n such. well now my (35...38 gallon?) is pretty decked out, i bought a CPR sump and overflow. and i built a dual trickle filter out of 4 inch ABS tubing, with PVC shavings within the tubes. (the hatchery i work at has 3 trickles of greater proportions, but has the same design; thats where i got the idea). and its a whisper quiet system. how ever...

i have a protien skimmer that i used to use on the old setup of the tank (i hate it, its so big and awkward and noisy, it worked great but was just an eyesore) do i have to contine useing this? i mean it can go in the sump but its messy and noisy and i'd rather not. i hear people saying protien skimmers if you dont have a filter, or protien skimmer regardless if you have a filter or not...what do you people think?

secondly, my current hood, being a compact flourescent, with dual florescent/actinic lighting that i got for x-mas a year ago, got salt in the switches and one of the switches melted and correded away, i still have one working light but this happened yesterdayand i have two damsels in the tank, so im somewhat desperate, out of cash, and have an option open to me. my uncle is giving me a sattelite hood, which is 3 inches shorter in length then my older model. but it comes with 2x65w dual daylight dual actinic lights. is that 130 watts of light, or just 65? i've read in a few places that its good to have 4 watts per gallon and my tank is like a 35 gallon tank.so that means i need to have 140 watts (approximately) fo the tank? or is that only when it comes to dealing with anenomaes and corals (this is a fish only tank btw, forgot to claim that earlier)

3rdly, after about 8 days of running, 3 days with the damsels, there is a cloudyness to the tank, thats seeems slightly green. i've tested the water, nitrites are non exsistent, and ammonia is barely present and the fish seem happy and the like. but this "green fog" as i will dub it, bothers me. and its a slight cloudyness too, like you really can only notice it when the light is off on the tank. (the one bulb that still works)

and i wish i found this place like 3 days ago cause i would have done the fishless cycleing lol, but to late now i will know for next time!!! thanks for the help! (still kinda newbie to SW, developing as i go!)

Old 08-14-2005, 09:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

1. I believe that in a sw tank, a protein skimmer is a must
Quote:
2x65w dual daylight dual actinic lights
I had a model just like that, it is 130watts, don't even think about anemones without mh's, but softies are within the realm of possibility.
3. As for the cloudiness, that sounds dangerous. What exactly are your ammonia numbers. What are your nitrate numbers.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
you could put the skimmer in your sump
Old 08-14-2005, 11:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
you could put the skimmer in your sump
Old 08-15-2005, 02:30 AM   #5

as of earlier today, nitrite were not detectable (like, less then .03 or what ever the lowest reading on ym kit is)

and ammonia was really minute, just barely registering, but i dont remeber what it was exactly.

now what sucks is i have to leave tomorrow morn for a work related trip. so i cannot monitor it for 3 days (was brought on me today, kinda sucks) my roomate can feed the damsels and look after them, but wouldnt know where to begin with helping them if the water chemicals go to bad.

ima do a water change tomorrow AM i think.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, ok. First off. Be sure to do plenty of water changes while the damsels are in there so they don't suffer. This is going to prolong your cycle so be patient. Or, return the damsels and do fishless cycling.
The green cloudiness sounds like an algae bloom. Is your tank sitting near a window?
skimmers are a good idea and I would encourage you to use it even if only in the sump. But, they really aren't necessary on fo tanks unless you are dealing with large predatory fish that make alot of waste.
The lights, in figuring wattage, you include the actinics so yes, that would be 130wpg. HTH

To address your second post, yes, do a water change right before you leave, or return the damsels and replace them with a raw shrimp.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #7

well back from my trip. the damsels are in good health, the tank has cleared up, and nitrite and ammonia are low to non exsistent. im happy about that.

thanks for all the help.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Salmo Trutta, you just happend tp join during this wild thing we do annully. We throw kudos around and thank folks for adding to the warmth at his site. Well, new members bring a lot of that warmth. Ya'll ask, folks around here help. It's the AA way.

Anyway, I'm throwing some your way (kudos), so that as you seek help from these fine folks you can dive'm kudos as you wish to say thanks.

So, welcome to AA , and have some kudos!!!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com