Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone (in bit of a crisis)

My name is Eric, I'm new to the forums. I recently acquired my brothers 65g fowlr tank. He handed it over to me Last year and he handed it over to me cuz he didn't want to take care of it and rather travel Europe.

I recently came to the forums, because I want to learn how to take care of my new tank. Any help would be appreciated!

My brother handed me this tank last year, it used to have two clowns, one blimey and alot of live rock. There is now only one clown fish alive unfortunately...

There is no sump, just live rock and no protein skimmer (my coralife 65g super skimmer recenently broke in December)

I been reading alot but am pretty confused at how to take care of this tank because the majority of books I have read lately are for reef tanks, but I only have live rock and no sump...I went to the fish store as of last week and turns out my water is fine, and my tank is doing well.

I realized one of my clown fish has died because it had some white thing coming out of it, and my blimey died because it got killed because of a Bristle worm.

I have one clown fish remaining (seems healthy) and two hermit crabs recently died (I am assuming because of the bristle
Worm infestation I'm having now)

I get paid on friday, can you please give me information on what I can do with this tank. ( I really want to actually try to take care of this tank)

Thanks for the help guys, any information will be useful and appreciated!!! And sorry fr the long post

Erictoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
First off welcome to the forum!

Start by reading the articles at the top of the page. Here is a link to a good one to start on http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...by-/Page1.html

Could you tell us some details about your setup? Such as what type of filter, how many pounds of live rock, what type of substrate. The more you can tell us about your setup the easier it is to give you advice.

I would get a quality test kit and start testing your water once a week. Look for a kit with tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. I use the Api master test kit. Also test your salinity, preferably with a refractometer.

Your blenny probably was not killed by the bristle worms. I have them in my tank and they don't hurt anything, if anything they help by eating old food and anything that dies in your tank before it can rot. An over population of bristle worms is due to an overabundance of nutrients in the tank (probably due to over feeding) reduce the amount you feed and the population should decrease. I feed sparsely every other day.

Turbosnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I agree. Start with your own liquid test kit and tell us what the readings are. When is the last time you did a water change?

You're topping off with fresh water, not salt, right?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Good advice above. Get your own test kits, test the water and post the results. A 30% partial water change is always a good idea when things start going bad. If you don't keep that amount on hand, mix it up and change the water the following day. Practicing good husbandry leads to good results.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com