Hey Guys, New here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone. I just bought a new tank set up yesterday to attempt my first saltwater tank. I bought the Bio cube 29 and I only added some live sand yesterday. Im going to add some live rocks today. Just a few questions. What are some tips to avoid algae take over? Should I upgrade the power head? Can I add some hermit crabs already? I've done a ton of freshwater so i'm not completely green. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to AA:) Using R/O water helps to stop algae but you will get some algae or diatom blooms as the tank matures:)

You can always remove unwanted algae by hand. Usually you want to wait for your first algae bloom before you get hermits. I'm assuming you have good light so you should notice a 'brown out' within a week then you can add hermits

I made a rookie mistake. No one at the fish store mentioned I needed to rinse the sand off, so after time I move the sand or re position rock, it clouds up. Any trick to get all the sand "soot" out?

Hi and welcome to AA:) Using R/O water helps to stop algae but you will get some algae or diatom blooms as the tank matures:)

RO/DI water is key i think. Not just plan old RO water.

I made the noob mistake of adding RO water plus having my lights on during the cycle. Its not bad but diatoms and some green algae are starting to show. Your looking to avoid silicates in your water.

I'm learning quick that your going to have some algae in your tank, keep your nutrients down and do weekly water changes and you should be good.

Again, still a noob so hopefully someone will jump in here with a more scientific answer for you.

Cheers
Nick

Keep the lights on for maybe 4 hours per day during your cycle. You will run into algae issues it's bound to happen to new tanks. I am in month 3 and currently dealing with some algae issues but it's because my rodi machine is putting out 100ppm (using TDS meter) make sure whatever water you use is 0ppm and you do your water changes (after your trates show) you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom