Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

hey loves, i just got me a new 20 gal!

hey guys.. my parents saw how much i adored the family 55 gallon that for my birthday this year, (wooo 17), they got me a 20 gallon tank. its got nice fiji rock(prolly about 5-6 lbs i suspect), its all nice and cycled (i didnt use ne fish for this; the live rock did it all.) its got a nice amphipod population, and looks great (ill take pics some time.) it has a sandstorm sand filter and a skilter filter 250 (i know, not that good, but for such a small tank im sure it will suffice; we shall see). so far, i put in two green chromises to start. they like to hang around eachother-- so cute. the question is, what ELSE TO STOCK?!!?! woo hoo!OoO!!oo! i made a list of fishi like so far. i know all are not practical, all do not get good with one another (such as say a mandarin and a leopard wrasse competeing for food), ad i defintely do not intend to put ALL of these fish in the tank, but id like some feedback about my ideas:

six-lined wrasse, leopard wrasse (most commonly sold type-- guina fowl one), firefish, jaw fish, banggai cardinal, mandarin dragonet ( i only say this because a LFS i know actually cultivates and sells his copepods/amphipods by the filter pad, fairy cheaply too), clownfish of some type (not too sure yet), pseudochromis or anthias of some type (type suggestions are appreciated).
thanks bunches~!

Old 05-29-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
Hate to say it but you may have 2 many fish going in there. Thats 10 fish for a 20 gal 8O. Everything else seems fine though. I forgot the rule of thumb of how many grown fish per how many gallons but perhaps someone else will know.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Methinks the actual question was: Which from this list might go together in the said tank? Sorry I don't know, but I don't think all are intended to live together!
Old 05-29-2005, 08:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
Quote:
ad i defintely do not intend to put ALL of these fish in the tank, but id like some feedback about my ideas:
BAHH WOOPS! I agree everything looks like they would get along though some wrasses tend to be agressive.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Whose tank is this anyway?
Old 05-29-2005, 09:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

my.. tank..? :p im the one posting the list..... sorry im not anyone special.:p my name is nikki. i dont think anyone here knows my name, but there it is. pleased ta meet you.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

one thing im worried about is.. leopard wrasse. i find it to be extremely beautiful, but ive heard you need a fairly deep sand bed, and lots of small crustaceans etc etc to keep them happy, and that they dont tend to do well in home aquaria. that worries me-- anyone have any exp with this? and if i were capable of getting a leopard wrasse, would it compete with the docile jawfish, who also makes a burrow? and would they compete with the firefish?! what a fiasco! :p i honestly dont want any more than perhaps 4 fish. i dont want them to be uncomfortable.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, I think a clown would be ok, or maybe a dwarf angel. With a 20 gal that houses two chromis already, your only gonna be adding another fish, maybe two. I would skip the leopard wrasse. Everything I've heard about them says they are hard to keep. Also, anthias get far to big for that size tank. A sixline might do ok but they are jumpers so be sure to have a secure lid. Mandarin, well, even though you have a lfs propagating pods, I'd skip it as well. Give your tank some time to mature. Also, be careful of putting to many fish that feed on the same things in such a small tank. (wrasses, mandarins). HTH
Old 05-30-2005, 10:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

exactly fluff.:P as i said, it was a list of fish i like to be scrutinized. i had no intention at all of say putting a leop wrass and a mandarin in the same tank, as i dont think it'd be fair, etc etc etc. i hate dwarf angels.:p i think ill stick to something like a clown and a sixline. i like sixlines. maybe a psuedocromis of some kind instead of a sixline-- who knows! but thank you for slimming the list down considerably.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Tags
20 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com