Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hey Salty people

So been thinking of starting my adventure into the salty waters. I've always been a freshie because that whats here in Central Illinois and I like bringing the outdoors inside. The wife is the reason I would like to adventure into saltwater, she a California girl and I know she has been missing the ocean for some time now. So I want to bring a little ocean to her.

So was thinking of a Nano? 20Gal or less for her to care for, but I know from years and years of enjoying this hobby that bigger tanks are easier to maintain. Is this the same for saltwater?? would a small tank overwhelm her with maintenance

I know she like the corals, cause every time we go into the local FishStore thats where she goes. So Im thinking A reef tank?? maybe one small fish and some inver's?? I dont know.... Im thinking reef and UVB-UVA pop into my head kinda like reptiles

Just wanted to get some advice from you Saltwater people

Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Absolutely bigger is easier. You don't have to go 300 or anything but bigger tanks give you more options fish wise. I fell in love with Tangs and can't have one in a 55 so look into that for sure.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

that's a rough tank to start with. go big if you have the space

Jeremy
jeremy upshir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hey Salty people

20g is fine to start with, my first reef was a 20 long that is just over 7 years old and still running great. As long as you keep a good weekly water change schedule it's just as easy as a fw tank. The main differences IMO between fresh and salt is ro/di water and using the rock in the tank as your main source of filtration. I'm also located in IL so feel free to pm me with any questions

Edit: If you go with a 20 go 20 long not tall. Your fish will prefer it and it will be easier to build a stable scape
Old 02-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't listen to the people who tell you nanos are hard to run. They aren't. I agree go with a 20g long, it's a better choice for a reef. I did a 20h, and it works well though. Make sure you look at the fish you want first, then decide on tank size. Check out liveaquaria.com and filter the fish by tank size.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks.. Guess I got some Researching to do, and 20gal long will be perfect for a learning curve.

I will keep everyone posted on my adventure and will asking question along the way. I'm planning on next week sometime getting the tank and everything needed to start the cycle process.

Kinda excited always wanted a Saltwater because of the beautiful coral and vibrant colors of the sea life. Always been jealous of that deep down.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright! I'll be following!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nano isn't difficult to maintain. Your only limitation is quantity and type of fish. If the tank is for your wife I would go bigger than a 20. There are a lot of "pretty" fish that you won't be able to keep in a 20. She will want pretty fish. You don't want to have to say "our tank is too small" or "we have enough fish already"

Or start small with plans to upgrade soon.

For corals you will need strong lighting.

And don't trust LFS. They are there to make money. Research and ask questions here.

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com