Hey there!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stanley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, so I found this great place and just in time. I've been doing alot of reading here and really appreciate the fact that there are so many helpful people who stop by.

I finally stopped thinking about it and just went out and bought a tank and stand, with hood last week. I thought I had it all figured out after reading "Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies" and a little peeking at some websites. Oh, boy.

Here's what I bought online so far that's on it's way to me:

Fluval 304 canister filter
Prism skimmer
Ebo-Jager 150W. heater
12X36 UGF (that it doesn't sound like I'll be using)

And the tank/stand 47Gal. Bowfront (kinda small, but kinda a great deal.)

So, that's where I'm at. The tank is sitting empty so I have to look at it everyday and I've got a bunch of stuff coming to me and a rinky-dink pet store here in town that carries (some) saltwater equipment and supplies. I will be getting (I think) my sand and rock from them as well as my food, chemicals and I bought the Fluval because that's what they sell and they have a good supply of parts and filter cartriges and such.

I am going to have a boatload of questions after I get my big box-O-stuff and thought I would intoduce myself before I got started.

I'll be back,

Stanley

You've come to the right place, I've been thinking about saltwater recently and have gotten a ton of help from the more experienced people here.

schild27.gif
to AquariumAdvice.com!!

Glad to see you have aquired the addiction :mrgreen: As for the 47 bowfront, it's not too small, most prefer larger, but I have seen some bang up 46bow displays :wink: Before we try to aid any in the set up, you'll need to tell us what type of SW tank your looking to do; Reef, Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR), or Fish Only(FO). The answer to this question will way heavy in the advice we might give. For example, unless your looking to do a FO setup, I would recommend returnning the cannister filter and buying a few powerheads and relying on the LR and LS to filter the aquarium for you.

Oh yea......I forgot.

My intent is to do a reef setup. Live rock is available here for about 5 bucks a pound but I haven't really researched the type they sell, it's quality....etc. Live sand I'm not real sure about. I saw a big bag of wet sand at the store and it claimed to have a bazzion live organisms in it. They also have a small selection of fish and I figure that I'd start with a couple of their, shall we say, cheap fish. There is a large saltwater only store that's about a 3 hour drive from where I live and I need to make the journey but time is a little tight with these pesky accellerated summer classes.

Lose the canister filter huh?

So if I go the Power head route how many of them should I need?

So many questions......

Thanks for the warm invite folks!

Stanley

Back
Top Bottom