hi all....I have a question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4xFreak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I setup my new 125 gallon acrylic yesterday and after dissolving enough salt to get my salinity to 1.025 and let things run for a bit, I added my live sand and 180 lbs. of pukani and fiji ultra premium rock. My cycle has begun....Here's the question: Can I assume that there is enough die off and such already on and inside the rock to produce enough ammonia or shall i go to the store and get a few "shrimp" as suggested?

125 acrylic w/ built in prizm overflow and 2 drilled returns
8/2 euro reef skimmer
40 gallon sump
20hf return pump

thanx,

4x

Your live rock should be just fine even if it was pre-cured. It will take 2 to 4 weeks so just keep testing. And congrats on a great setup start.

hey kat!

thanx for the quik reply! I am also under the assumption the rock will be just fine w/o adding the shrimp and by the way, this stuff really stunk when i unpacked it, so it was not pre-cured...

thanx again!

4x

No need for the shrimp. That awful smell is stuff decomposing on/in the live rock. you can do small water changes if the ammonia gets to high to help what ever is still alive to stay alive

Ya, it should be fine (although i am jealous of your tank :D ), i found out that i didnt need shrimp right after purchasing them, but that's alright, i love my coral banded and camelbacks all the same!

Back
Top Bottom