Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
I wouldn't be so quick to toss it out. IIRC, Visitherms, Visitherm Stealths, and Stealth Pro's (though the pro's have been recalled) come with a lifetime warranty and will be replaced if they malfunction.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm all for returning it and getting a replacement and refund, or hey, even a oops! Sorry that you got a product of poor quality. What I am suggesting is that he not assume this one is okay turned down. I would replace it with another heater. Because I personally would not take that chance.

Maya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Just about all heaters out there will not be accurate with respect to the dial or setting knob. Some are better than others, but none are 100% accurate. It doesn't mean the heater is bad or thermostat is failing. It just means it's not accurate.

With that said though... there is a recall going on with the Marineland Stealth Pro heaters and you should NOT have them in your tank. The Stealth Pros are the ones that are totally black, with the red/green led-lit knob on the top. These are the ones being recalled. Marineland will replace them, and if you ask for a Visitherm (glass) heater, they should oblige. The original Stealth heaters are black, but no indicator light on the setting knob. The knob to set the thermostat is just red plastic. Those, in my opinion, are good heaters.

Personally, I'd never trust a thermostat on ANY heater. If you want a more reliable setup, get yourself an industrial temperature controller (Ranco, Johnson Controls, or a full blown aquarium controller) and use IT to turn your heater on/off. Set the thermostat on the heater just a little higher than the controller set point, and you have a 2nd line of defense from overheating. That's about as bomb-proof as you can get.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I work for a company that does a lot of automation work. Maybe I can get some of the lab rats to put something together for me

Chiefstrum is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com