Hi, beginner Light question on LPS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beefandpork

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I currently have 20 gallon high tank with 4 (24 watt t-5) 2 10,000k lights and 2 ATI Aquablue. Not sure what the 2 10000k bulbs are as I got this used. The 2 ATI bulbs are new.

I plan to get a open red brain, frogspawn and green star poly.

The question I have is how many hours should the light be on and at night what should i turn on.

thank you

Replace the 10k bulbs if you don't know the age. Leave the light on for 8-9 hours. Try and get a timer(s) so you lights are on a consistent schedule. Maybe have the actinics come on 30min before the 10k, have 10k on for 7-8 hours, 10k off, actinics on for another 30min after 10k goes off, actinics off. This would give you kind of a dawn/dusk effect. Hope this helps. Welcome to AA!

+1 to thom, definitely replace the 10K bulbs ASAP. If they are old, they will feed nuisance algae.

Hi

Can anyone recommend me a good brand bulb. I am looking for nice growth and good for LPS. I have 2 ATI aquablue already.

thanks

Might as well stick with ATI. Cant get anything better. Get two ATI Blue Plus bulbs...

My 20g has two AquaBlue Specials and two Blue Plus. Nice light blue color to the tank with all corals popping like crazy!

Matt

thanks guys

mrg02d I think that would be too much blue for me, plus my living room would be all blue.

Thominil, thanks for the link

Think about where your corals come from and try to mimic that light and schedule. Most corals in the wild have about a 12 hour+ photoperiod.

I would run actinics for 12 hours and 10k for 10 hours with a 1 hour dawn/dusk period. That's what I ran when I had MH or PC lights, and is what most reefers use for a photoperiod.

Hi CMor1701d

thanks for the reply, are you saying to give 1 hours atinics before 10K for 10 hours then off and then another hour atinics.

just a little confuse.

Back
Top Bottom