Hi I'm dan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

undercoverfarm5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm just getting started. I have had my tank for about 5 days now. I have live sand, 2lb of live rock 3 hermit crabs (2blue legs and one red leg), 8 damsels (4 yellow fins, 2 yellow, 2 all blue with white belly), and some decorations for them to hide in. I'm wanting to put coral and anemone in my tank just don't know when.. please any info would help!

Last edited by a moderator:
What size is this tank? 8 damsels sounds like a nightmare!! What lighting do you have?

That's a sw tank? I'd definitely add a lot more live rock before even thinking about adding any corals or looking at better lighting

You will want 60 pounds of rock, probably closer to 90. Do some research. Get a stand. There is no moving it without draining. Do some research. 8 fish in 5 days is bad in an established tank, lets alone a new one. Do some research. No anemones for at least 6 months. You will need to invest in better lighting. Do some research. Look into an ATO.
Did I mention to do some research? Do it.

You will want 60 pounds of rock, probably closer to 90. Do some research. Get a stand. There is no moving it without draining. Do some research. 8 fish in 5 days is bad in an established tank, lets alone a new one. Do some research. No anemones for at least 6 months. You will need to invest in better lighting. Do some research. Look into an ATO.
Did I mention to do some research? Do it.

Thanks for this information! I have been doing a lot of research! Still don't understand what these abbreviations stand for. ATO? I'm new to the fish community just trying to learn something new. Question for you.. 60-90 lb that's prolly going to make up most of my tank?

You want about a lb per gallon so 60-70 more lbs is what you want. I think I have almost 50 lbs in my 40 breeder.
ATO is auto top off unit. Like chefbill said a lot more research needs to be done on sw setup and care

You want about a lb per gallon so 60-70 more lbs is what you want. I think I have almost 50 lbs in my 40 breeder.
ATO is auto top off unit. Like chefbill said a lot more research needs to be done on sw setup and care

Is an ATO really necessary? I check my water levels daily and tbh I don't have water supply ran to my tank. Thanks for the info on the live rock! I'll be adding a lot more in the near future! As well as a glass lid with better lighting! Just started 5 days ago my levels are good in the tank! I get it tested regularly! I know I need lots more research but hey gotta start somewhere [emoji136]?*♂️

Glass lids are counter productive. They limit gas exchange, cut light by their very nature and collect salt and algae, further limiting light penetration.
ATOs are nice , will keep salinity stable and provide a place to kalkwasser dose.

Looks like you're headed in a good direction! Do you have test kits for everything?

And they use liquid kits? Make sure to ask them for exact numbers when they tell you, not just good or great or bad

Back
Top Bottom