Hi...I'm new...and I have a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salty Dog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi...I already feel welcomed, thanks. Anyways, I'm totally new at this hobby and I have a question. First of all, I have a 20 gallon tank( which I know is pathetic guessing that everybody here probably has like, 120 gallon tanks). I have wo cute little clownfish, a blood shrimp, and a 7 to 8" snowflake eel. I've had the eel for about two weeks and never had a problem with him, however, just recently he's gotten very aggressive toward my fish and anything that goes on outside or around the tank. He mostly gets upset when it's feeding time for the fish, trying to jump out and attack the feeder...he's even tried eating his own tail...is this normal, I've always heard they're pretty calm..is he maybe stressed out about something? I would appreciate the advice.

I've never had an eel, but I've read that snowflakes will eat most fish that it can fit in it's mouth. They are also supposed to great at escaping from aquariums. A 20 gallon is also kinda small, they can grow to 2' long and the recommended tank size is 50 gallons. The only SW tank I have so far is a 20 gallon and I wouldn't think of keeping a snowflake. Your best bet may be to take him back until you get a larger setup. Maybe someone with first hand experience will chime in here. HTH

Hey Menagerie, nice to see a fellow Calgarian eh!

Where do you get your aquarium stuff? I have just recently got into the hobby and have found Wai's aquarium to be good, I alsp found Big Al's to be a ripoff (I sure hope that you are not a big al's employee).

I am doing a tank at our school so I am on a super duper tight budget, so if you have any tips on doin it cheap up here let me know.

Thanks alot!

just recently he's gotten very aggressive toward my fish and anything that goes on outside or around the tank. He mostly gets upset when it's feeding time for the fish, trying to jump out and attack the feeder...he's even tried eating his own tail...

sounds like he is stressed, too little room. Please take him back he won't be happy in the 20 gal, sorry.

As jackdp said 50 or better for a snowflake. Oh and Welcome to AA. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom