Hi, I'm new to Salt Water and would love your two cents...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you! I thought it was going to take a while. I am now concerned over the lighting in this tank I am thinking about buying. The Red Sea Max 130D. Someone mentioned that lighting isn't enough for corals. The tank got great reviews when launched last year and its the "refurbished version" so I think the company would want customer success?

I read reviews and no one mentioned the lighting. Do you the formula for watts per gallon?

You know the difference in hard/SPS vs soft/LPS corals? Whatcha thinking bout doing? Hards take much more and need calcium supplements. There are plenty of soft coral that thrive on water changes and decent, but not overly strong lighting. Formulas for lighting don't always work since tank depth can make penetration an issue.

Gotta decide on which and let that help help guide your setup buying.

NO I haven't gotten to reading yet on soft versus hard corals. I will look into that. The tank is 34g so its not huge. I am really not even thinking about what kind of coral. I will want the "easiest" to take care of...

With the lighting, it will all depend on what type of corals you are planning. A majority of people will get the best lighting they can afford because it offers the flexibility to keep many different types of corals. Just going with the lights in the all in one will limit your range of coral species.

As far as the "turn key" setups, I tend to think of those setups as money shredders. If you don't get involved in the hardware and learn how everything works, then when something goes wrong, you'll need to call for help and maybe even pay to have someone fix your tank. It is much , much cheaper to get the components yourself and make it to your liking.

The basic shopping list to start your own tank is:
1.) Tank approx. $20.00-$100.00 (if you hit up craigslist you may score a deal!)
2.) bucket of Reef crystals salt approx. $60.00
3.) Some jugs of water from the Reverse Osmosis water machine at Walmart(Big blue one) approx. $0.40 per gallon.
4.) 40lbs Live Rock approx.$120.00
5.) 1 or 2 bags of dry aragonite sand $40.00
6.) Heater approx $30.00
7.) 2 power heads (Koralia series are great!) approx $50.00
8.) Master Test kit approx $35-$45.00
9.) Bak Pak protien skimmer $50-$100 (EBay may get you one for as little as $20)
10.) Lights anywhere from $150.00-$350.00 depending on type you can afford. T5HO lighting seems to offer the best bang for the beginner buck and those run around $250.00.

As you can see, the lighting system is the most expensive part and even with that, buying your own stuff and building it yourself would save you $200.00 or more. There's alot of places to buy second hand equipment and anyway to shave off a few dollars here and there will be money left to spend on corals and fishes! ;)

One thing about the tank you are looking at....I haven't seen 22 watt bulbs for T5 or Power compact (those are 2 different type of bulbs btw)....so it may be hard to find replacements...I don't think that is a common wattage. Just something to think about. I've had fixtures where bulbs were almost impossible to find...and its frustrating.

I know it seems easier to buy an all-in-one kit, but I think you could get a bigger tank for about the same amount of money if you did some shopping around for equipment...and definitely if you bought a used tank.

LPS corals are nice....same with some of the lower light corals like mushrooms. They have become one of my fav corals.

Do more research before you buy that tank. I bet you will not be happy with it in the long run. for a beginner setup you only need a couple peices of equipment

1. tank (75 gal is a GREAT beginner tank) I would go with reef ready
2. protien skimmer
3. lights

as for stocking the tank 100lbs lr should do it

Read some of the build threads to get an idea of what you will need.

Bump, you want a serious list yes to purchase on your own?
1. Tank
2. Protien Skimmer, 3 Stage Carbon system. Go double the recommend rating, if it says its for a 30g tank, buy one for a 60g tank.
3. 4X T5 High Output 24Watt Dual Light System 6.5k rated Acinitic(mispell lol) And 10k rated white light
4. Nitrate, Nitirite, Ammonia ,PH Test Kits
5. Salinity Tester
6. RO/DI Unit (or distilled water, alot)
7. Bag of sea salt, i.e instant ocean
8. Power Head (s) for current and mixing water
9. Bag(s) of Live Sand, enough to make at least 1.5'' of bed from base
10. 30g tank, then at a minimum 45 Lbs of Live rock, but do 60-75 lbs
11. Plastic Surgical Hose, for draining water, or adding water, or drip methods.
12. Vacuum siphon for surgical hose to vacuum sand bed of waste
13. A peice of raw uncooked, unseasond RAW RAW shrimp
14. 200w or 100w Heater, ALL depending on tank size
15. thermometer
you can obtain this all for about $500-600 and you can disclude the RO/DI unit and 4x T5HO lamp and go for T5HO 2x for less but if you want reef.

Later you can add all the coral, fish and fish coral supplies to the list but that should be enough to start your cycle and healthy long tank life
this is a very expensive, but probably by far most addicting hobby i ever had. Great lengths of care and love will go into this tank, including your pockets
remember, large tanks are easier to care for but are more expensive for obvious reasons

Hey,
I agree with everyone about the plug and play. Like i was saying at the start of this thread you'll probably, like me, want to replace a lot of the things you get in this deal because the quality is not going to house the things you want. It is much easier and everything fits together nicely in a plug and play and I understand what you mean about being new to everything and not being 100% sure on what you need etc. so when it all comes in one box its much more reassuring that uve got everything, but if I were you...doing this all again...I would not have got the plug and play.

You want corals and fish right?? Thats exatly what im doing right now...after not researching things very well and thinking I could have loads of fish in my little 17gallon ive recently been adding corals. Ive got a leather toadstool and a coloured honey wall frogspawn. Yesterday I added two clown fish. Ive had the tank since Jan 1st just to give an example of how long things can take.

So, for now, the fish don't really matter too much as far as influencing your equipment so have a look at some pictrues of corals and see what you like. There are some really nice colourful ones. Im starting off with easy to care for "beginner" corals however when I upgraded my lighting ive got the best I could afford to give me options in the future so the lighting I have not will easily keep any corals alive, once I have built up my own knowledge.

As a beginner those shopping lists look really confusing. If I were you id re-write them onto a piece of paper and tick the ones you know. Anything youre unsure of research them. I remember thinking "what the HECK is a skimmer...and why would you need to skim a fish?". Then if you have more questions you can ask us.

I told you that patience would drive you insane lol!!!
Andrea

welcome,i just wanted to share something with you. i had my 75gal fowlr 4 4 months now.the advice that you get from here is A-1.PLEASE!!! do not rush this.i strayed away from the golden rule.nothing good happens fast in saltwater.i rushed things with my tank and payed the price.lost $400.00 in fish and fighting for my life to save remaining fish.parameters shot up due to putting to much fish in my tank at one time.take it from someone who learned a valuable lesson don't rush it.i also did reading and research for 1 yr. and got carried away.follow the advice from here and you will do fine.

bump my original list, i didnt see krypt posted a pretty detailed list, sorry krypt

OK... time for me to chime in and play devil's advocate!

I am not a big fan of the plug-n-play units because as others have mentioned, you not getting the most bang for your buck when it comes to the components. And because of the compact nature of most of these units, you're very limited as to the different things you can do with the tank as far as retrofitting, replacing components, etc.

HOWEVER... everyone doesn't look at stuff like I do, and everyone isn't in to piecing a collection of components together into a single system. Some just want it handed to them and then they can get on with the fun stuff and not have to become experts on the individual components within a system. (But it sure helps to really understand those components, down the road!)

So if I *was* the type of person that was going to buy a plug-n-play unit, those Red Sea Max units look like a pretty nice setup compared to the other stuff out there. Those units were not the first of the self-contained units out on the market, and I think Red Sea did a good job in fixing some of the failings of other all-in-one units. The lighting isn't going to support a farm of SPS corals, but it will support any LPS corals you throw at it. There are many lower light SPS corals that will also do fine under that lighting. As far as corals go, as long as you don't mind staying away from the more light demanding SPS corals, that tank will be fine.

I think you can get better value in piecing together your own system, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that setup. Yeah... you'll probably want a different tank after a year or two... but we all do, regardless of what we started with!

Kurt, thanks for your note, I apprecate you taking the time. I think I am the type of person that needs a plug & play and as i learn I can grow from there.

SquanGirl, thanks for sticking around and not getting overpowered by well meaning posters. Yes we all want the altimate tank, but we all got to start somewhere. As long as you know your options and can live with it, (for now) all I can say is " You go...Girl.
PS I'm all for my most important note...Have Fun!!!

Thank you to everyone for your two cents. I appreciate the advice and direction. I will let you know once I buy my tank and get started. I'm now trying to piece together what fish I want? Yikes...

Just to add into the thread. I bought a 29G BioCube not that long ago, and love it. It is a very good tank to start out with. I was worried about going from freshwater to saltwater, and didn't want to dive too deep into to start out. I am glad I started out with the BioCube, but on the same note I already have a 38G (tank was collecting dust in my garage) cycled and I have transfered over a couple of the fish from my BioCube :)
By The Way, I plan on keeping both tanks running, just had more fish I wanted to get than the 29G could hold

Back
Top Bottom