Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you! I thought it was going to take a while. I am now concerned over the lighting in this tank I am thinking about buying. The Red Sea Max 130D. Someone mentioned that lighting isn't enough for corals. The tank got great reviews when launched last year and its the "refurbished version" so I think the company would want customer success?

I read reviews and no one mentioned the lighting. Do you the formula for watts per gallon?

Old 03-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #22

Thanks Ray...BTW, what is IMO stand for?

Old 03-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry. In my opinion.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

You know the difference in hard/SPS vs soft/LPS corals? Whatcha thinking bout doing? Hards take much more and need calcium supplements. There are plenty of soft coral that thrive on water changes and decent, but not overly strong lighting. Formulas for lighting don't always work since tank depth can make penetration an issue.

Gotta decide on which and let that help help guide your setup buying.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 03-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #25

NO I haven't gotten to reading yet on soft versus hard corals. I will look into that. The tank is 34g so its not huge. I am really not even thinking about what kind of coral. I will want the "easiest" to take care of...
Old 03-27-2010, 11:40 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Focus on LPS then. Mushrooms, frogspawn, hammer, leathers (kenya tree maybe), zoanthids, etc. You'll see. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #27

Thanks Ray, I will read up on that. Have a good night.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

With the lighting, it will all depend on what type of corals you are planning. A majority of people will get the best lighting they can afford because it offers the flexibility to keep many different types of corals. Just going with the lights in the all in one will limit your range of coral species.

As far as the "turn key" setups, I tend to think of those setups as money shredders. If you don't get involved in the hardware and learn how everything works, then when something goes wrong, you'll need to call for help and maybe even pay to have someone fix your tank. It is much , much cheaper to get the components yourself and make it to your liking.

The basic shopping list to start your own tank is:
1.) Tank approx. $20.00-$100.00 (if you hit up craigslist you may score a deal!)
2.) bucket of Reef crystals salt approx. $60.00
3.) Some jugs of water from the Reverse Osmosis water machine at Walmart(Big blue one) approx. $0.40 per gallon.
4.) 40lbs Live Rock approx.$120.00
5.) 1 or 2 bags of dry aragonite sand $40.00
6.) Heater approx $30.00
7.) 2 power heads (Koralia series are great!) approx $50.00
8.) Master Test kit approx $35-$45.00
9.) Bak Pak protien skimmer $50-$100 (EBay may get you one for as little as $20)
10.) Lights anywhere from $150.00-$350.00 depending on type you can afford. T5HO lighting seems to offer the best bang for the beginner buck and those run around $250.00.

As you can see, the lighting system is the most expensive part and even with that, buying your own stuff and building it yourself would save you $200.00 or more. There's alot of places to buy second hand equipment and anyway to shave off a few dollars here and there will be money left to spend on corals and fishes!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #29
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
One thing about the tank you are looking at....I haven't seen 22 watt bulbs for T5 or Power compact (those are 2 different type of bulbs btw)....so it may be hard to find replacements...I don't think that is a common wattage. Just something to think about. I've had fixtures where bulbs were almost impossible to find...and its frustrating.

I know it seems easier to buy an all-in-one kit, but I think you could get a bigger tank for about the same amount of money if you did some shopping around for equipment...and definitely if you bought a used tank.

LPS corals are nice....same with some of the lower light corals like mushrooms. They have become one of my fav corals.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do more research before you buy that tank. I bet you will not be happy with it in the long run. for a beginner setup you only need a couple peices of equipment

1. tank (75 gal is a GREAT beginner tank) I would go with reef ready
2. protien skimmer
3. lights

as for stocking the tank 100lbs lr should do it

Read some of the build threads to get an idea of what you will need.

Tags
new to salt water, salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com