Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK, I took everything out. filter pads and the chemi-pure (which I still don't know what that is for). I going to leave the skimmer on and see how things look tomorrow. After the water change I'm hoping things will settle down. Thanks so much for all the info, keep it coming!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seems to me the real decision is whether YOU service your tank, or you pay someone else to. If you pay someone else to, then most of the time it seems like the contract pretty much says that the servicing company decides how the tank is run. Many of the servicing places I'm aware of would've had a fit (privately) if one of their clients decided to go and move a bunch of rocks around or replace bioballs without their knowledge. If you have one that's interesting in talking about different ways of running the tank, that's pretty cool... but just be aware that you might be treading on thin ice.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Seems to me the real decision is whether YOU service your tank, or you pay someone else to. If you pay someone else to, then most of the time it seems like the contract pretty much says that the servicing company decides how the tank is run. Many of the servicing places I'm aware of would've had a fit (privately) if one of their clients decided to go and move a bunch of rocks around or replace bioballs without their knowledge. If you have one that's interesting in talking about different ways of running the tank, that's pretty cool... but just be aware that you might be treading on thin ice.
Speaking on this and for anyone who is interested in having their tanks maintenenced for them, unless leased this is your tank, your investment, and you are hiring them to do your bidding. You may have a contract, but it is up to you to enforce how you want the tank run and your choice to inform them of changes you make; It is not up to the servicing company so do not allow them to make judgements without your authority (contracts should stipulate any changes made by owner is not at company's expense). If you have to tip-toe so not to upset the company then you need to look for another company.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most of the stuff I'm familiar with are leased tanks as well as occupants. Guess I assumed that was the case here too.

My main point is that if you are doing something that goes against the maintainer's philosophy (even if that philosophy is dead wrong) you're probably going to get yourself into a finger-pointing match down the road if something goes wrong.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:35 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry it took me awhile to get back on line.
I have some good news. My tank was serviced on thrusday, and a partial water change. I had alot of questions and concerns for my service person.
I don't have a "contract" with them, it is just a service call every other week. I have no obligation to them.
And I do agree, it is my tank and a very large investment. On the other hand I don't have the knowledge to tell them what is the best thing for my tank.
We have agreed that he will take has much time as he needs to teach me why and what is going on with my tank (w/o more $$). I feel alot better about the whole relationship. I do know, he has taken a personal interest in my tank, keeping a portfolio from the first contruction, for referances.

He had one great suggestion, "Get on line with AquariumAdvice.com"
rotflol

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com