Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site, and hang in there! I do agree, it sounds like a shrimp molt. I freaked out when I say my first one and about three days later, he was back out and about.
The test kits should come in a box and hopefully are liquid tests.
You will need to "cure" the new rock. If you put that in the tank, there will be die-off (assuming it is not dry) and can cause another cycle.
In order to cure the new LR, you will need another tank or tote, SW a power head and possibly a small heater, and the test kits. When the cycle starts, you should see a spike in ammonia, a decline with the rise of nitrItes, a decline and then a rise in nitrAtes. Once there is no ammonia and nitrItes, the rock is cycled and ready to be placed in the tank.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Scott's advice is right on target. We have no idea she ordered for test kits so look at this site for what the various kits look like. If you have a digital camera try to take pictures of everythng and post those so we can figure out what you have and what you're missing. Try to size the photos to 800x600 before posting them if they are large.
There are a lot of good folks around here to help you. Hang in there.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

It looks like your stepmom may have ordered the live rock and test kits from Aloha Aquarium on eBay. I went back and read her other postings. She posted on Friday, so my guess is that the items have not arrived yet.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok I did a PWC Of 2 gal. How long after the change should I wait to test the water. Dad said the kits and rock were not expected till the end of the week. The idems I found were test strips, food, scrub brush, Prime, salt, aquasafe, a hydrometer, assorted decorations (shells, plants, fake coral, glass eggs, ect), bucket labled swt only, vac, a snap together cliff set, and plans for a sump (whats that). The shrimp showed up today when I added some shells. Cute little thing.

PS It looks like I'll be taking care of the pets for at least a week or two. The Dr wantsd to send her to another hospital for more tests.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
You can do some water tests just a few minutes after you've done the water changes. It should be all mixed in and give accurate results.

I wish I knew more about SW blue bubbles, but I just wanted to wish your mom (and you!) best wishes. I really admire what you're doing for her.

I have no doubt teh SW pros here will be able to help you and give you good advice to any questions you may have. Thank goodness about the shrimp eh? Thats a relief, it sounds like you're doing fine. Good luck!

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #16

Thanks Pitt, it's the least I can do for her.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

You are doing great so far. Just relax and take a deep breathe every now and then.
Glad to hear the shrimp showed up. They are very cool. Clean you hand and arm to make sure there are no oils or soap residue, then stick your hand in the tank near the shrimp. It's a cleaner shrimp that cleans parasites off the fish. It will scoot all around your hand and arm picking at it. It kinda tickles. Might as well have some fun while your there.

Did you check the SG of the tank and the pwc water with the hydrometer before doing the change?
Did you use tap water treated with Prime?
Any chance of using of using distilled water from the grocery (or better yet RO if they sell it -- reverse osmosis)?
You should let the newly mixed sw aerate either with a small power head in the bucket or an airstone for about 24 hours (overnight is good enough) before adding it to the tank.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:02 PM   #18

Ok did the pwc and the readings were the same. Oh and I did as you said Cmor and it did tickel. I was also wondering if I should add something to the tank to surprise her? I saw a cute little purple and yellow fish ( A royal something) and a golden mantis shrimp on Ebay are they decent and good for a young tank?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:13 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know you mean good, but I sure wouldn't. Too many stories on here that start out with, "A friend thought they were doing me a favor and picked up this coral/fish..." and end with the person trying to figure out what to do with a fish/coral that they never had an intent on getting, or isn't appropriate for the tank.

This tank needs some time to settle down before it gets some new inhabitants. And just FYI, most folks don't want mantis shrimp in their tanks. They're rather hostile, to put it nicely. Those are usually sold to people that put them in solitary tanks, just by themselves.

Hats off for taking care of your step mom's tank and wading in to something that's totally unknown! Hope she gets better soon!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, that mantis shrimp will take out your inverts and smaller fish. If you want to surprise her, keep doing what you are doing. I wouldn't add anything to the tank. I think what you are doing is 100 times better than any critter you buy her!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com