Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Following along, curious to see how this shakes out.

I would also agree that PWC's are the best option. My LFS girl keeps telling me I do too many water changes. LOL She tells me once a month is fine. BUT out of her last shipment of fish I don't think any survived so I for sure am not taking that advice. She also said pwc's arent really necessary if you dose. But as stated above there are trace elements that I don't believe you can dose for.

Just my input now I'll wait and see.

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

well really once a month is fine in an established system, its just when it comes down to a heavy coral load then dosing is required.

Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
in terms of corals, its either not do pwc's and have to dose... or do pwc's and perhaps not have to dose... guess its a personal choice
my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

you still might have to dose some thigns even with PWC it all depends the corals and their demand
Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
thats what i was thinking as well... i mean if someones running a 300-400g sw reef, hed be looking at 30-40g pwcs a week...thats a bucket of salt a month...crazy! and just imagine the ro water..thats 120g a month in ro water. . not including the run off the rodi creates
a can of salt a month is not a big expense. the water bill was an extra 30 bucks every 3 months. i did 50 gallons a week on my 300 gallon system, and it was very healthy up until i broke it down. add up all of the things you need to dose.
adding "kent elements" is not a good idea because you don't even know what's lacking and what isn't. in order to keep the tank close to NSW, you'd have to test for all things individually, and add individually. the tank in the pictures doesn't even need any dosing at all. there is no coral load. dosing is only needed for a coral tank.

here is a picture of my old 5' 195 gallon. nothing but weekly water changes, and full of basket ball sized sps colonies (also metal halide lighting, and no chiller either)-
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular
I just have ich from my coral beauty, I don't know if was the stress or what but it pollute all my other fishes in less than a week, the only one's that they still alive are the inverts......is sad but another thing to learn.

Mario Landa
mlanda is offline   Reply With Quote

filtration, filtration system, stem, system, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com